"Away from the Beach" Barbados Travelogue by jpud99930
Barbados Travel Guide: 1,330 reviews and 2,771 photos
If you travel by route cab along the south coast you'll pass these near the bus station as you walk from the lot to Bridgetown.
This is Broad Street in Bridgetown. This is the main shopping street.Most of your high end stores for jewery are here. Venture off a block and you mix with the locals. It's not that long and most of the stores are concentrated here.
This is the Oistins Fish Market. They bring their catch in on the dock here. On a Friday night don't miss the Oistins Friday Night Fish Fry. Grab a bus or route cab to Oistins and enjoy a great fish meal with drink and music, and mixing with the locals. Leave early as traffic gets snarly and can back up all the back to the Gap.
I come here and get a bag of fying fish which I marinate a herb mix and pan fry in butter. They taste great.No bones to worry about.
Stopped for a beer at the Yellowbird, which is at the start of the St. Lawrence Gap. We stayed here one year and it was awesome. One of the best views in all the south coast. Plus lots of places to eat close by and plenty of entertainment.
Looking down towards the Yellowbird. Behind me is a church and it's wonderfull to hear them singing on a Sunday morning.
This is a food stand and Banks is the beer of Barbados. It's made on the island. I find it's best to have it real cold or on ice. In this weather you'd have to drink it fast or it gets skunky as we Canadians call it. I prefer in on ice.
This bus depot is close to the cruise dock. These blue buses with yellow strip runs all over the island. Route cabs (White Vans ) run along the south coast and yellow buses with a blue strip run like route cabs but on the west coast.
When visiting Bridgetown you'll notice an arch. This arch is right beside the Waterfront. Great place to have lunch. You can sit on the walk or up on the upper deck.
This view is the begining of Broad St. It's just right of the modern building in the center of the picture. Come back across the water to the arch and it's on your right.
jpud99930's Related Pages
Barbados Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Thanksgiving 1996 - The First Visit"
- "s3's Barbados"
- "PARADISE ISLAND"
- "Island of Five Contrasts"
- "The "Real" Barbados"
- "Barbados - Starting Point For A Fantastic Cruise!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Barbados
- Hotels in Barbados
- Transportation in Barbados
- Nightlife in Barbados
- Restaurants in Barbados
- Shopping in Barbados
- Warnings and Dangers in Barbados
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Barbados
- 11 Reviews
- 62 Photos
- 12 Forum posts
- 1 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (2)
Have you been to Barbados?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Barbados
Top 10 Pages
- China Intro, 6 reviews, 87 photos, 10 travelogues
- Barbados Intro, 10 reviews, 56 photos, 6 travelogues
- Beijing Intro, 4 reviews, 61 photos, 6 travelogues
- Australia Intro, 2 reviews, 46 photos, 5 travelogues
- Lugano Intro, 2 reviews, 24 photos, 3 travelogues
- Switzerland Intro, 3 reviews, 22 photos, 2 travelogues
- California 18 photos, 3 travelogues
- Santiago Intro, 1 review, 16 photos, 1 travelogue
- Winnipeg Intro, 2 reviews, 15 photos, 2 travelogues
- England Intro, 15 photos, 2 travelogues