"Paris VT meet-September 2011" Paris Travelogue by davesut

Paris Travel Guide: 22,753 reviews and 56,278 photos

Arrival on Friday night

What a wonderful feeling, leaving work on a Friday night, go direct to the airport, fly to Paris to meet VTers.

Of course many VTers had been enjoying Paris for a day or so by the time I had got there but I had to do some catching up. Off I set for the pub via CDG, RER...OMG have you seen the price of beer in this place????!!!

Here you see Matim, Marlies and Maaike who were treated to a rose, cannot claim it was from me but by someone much more gallant.

It was turned 11pm by the time that I reached the pub and was very grateful that many VTers had managed to stay the course. I was particularly grateful to Gillybob and Suvanki who both texted the latest locations whilst I was en route and to ,stevemt who sorted my accommodation. Steve made sure that I got back to the hotel and a good rest.

Waking up and down to breakfast to meet others at the hotel including aussirose , Howard and Nemorino (Don). Don was introduced to me as the person who cycled everywhere. I asked a few questions about how he cycled around Paris. Cut to next scene and I'm trying to get the console to release the hired bikes. I want to know why after my bike ride I felt decidedly hot, sweaty and altogether shattered yet Don just looked relaxed and cool in his crisp,ironed shirt? Maybe I should get more practice.

Picnic in Paris

On to the picnic in the shadow of the tower. This was the first time that I had met up with most of the people on the meet. It was great to see everyone - friends old and new - people I recognised from profile pics and some people I did not recognise at all. So a few introductions were in demand. A recky team was dispatched to find suitable terrain and returned with the reconnaissance information soon enough. Off went the VTers to take over a corner of the Parc du Champ du Mars. There are worse places to be - in the sun, sharing food and wine and a sip of beer with great people from around the world evidenced here by penelope4. Penelope, who along with Borneogrrl (Valerie) and longsanborn (Helena) made up for my inadequate preparation by forcing me to partake in oysters and wine. What can I say... I was weak.

VTers just chillin

I really enjoyed this time in the Parc, relaxing, sun out...boy it was hard work.

Davesut VA

Here you see DavesutVA hot from his visit to Euromeet in Macedonia earlier in the year. He was even taken to a few more sites courtesy of Holger. So I was pleased that he came along to this meeting as well. I was a little disturbed that Holger, who showed DavesutVA such a great time in Macedonia, was not able to make it to this meet. I suppose it was as if something was not there that should have been.
Things were amiss
When Holger was not in Paris.

Photo oportunity

Stick VTers in front of one of the most recognised structures in the world and chances are they'll all be looking for the spare memory card within a few minutes. Too good an opportunity to miss with Suvanki (Sue). Sue never fails to impress with her preparations for VT meets. She once more got me out of a hole with her extra rations and provisions earlier on during the picnic. Most important was the portable wine glass that she gave me so that I could sample the vin blanc that was on offer.

One of those things I had to do

This has been my first visit to Paris and I just knew that I had to make the effort to go up the Eiffel Tower. Oh the queues, but lucky for me Valerie agreed to go there with me and keep me company. We bought tickets to walk to the second level, made it to the first and then found the lift to the next stop. Here we are on the second level. It was a bit windy as you can see, I'm just glad that I used hairspray.

• Page Updated May 9, 2016

• melodiek's Profile Photo
    Sep 5, 2013 at 1:08 PM

This meet-up sounds wonderful - VTers AND Paris. Looking more forward than ever to my first VT meet-up now. The bike-riding part, too - maybe I'll use one next trip in the Bois de Boulogne - countryside in the city.

“I have nothing to declare except my geekinus”

Badges & Stats in Paris