"Altmarkt" Chemnitz Travelogue by Russell_the_Wombat
Chemnitz Travel Guide: 135 reviews and 629 photos
The double market square is the heart of the city centre. I am not calling it the "old town" because there is not much left of the old town apart from the city hall, the church behind it, and the facade of one baroque house. All the rest has been destroyed in the war and cleared afterwards.
The citry hall has two parts, the old one with the two towers, all dressed in white, and the much bigger new wing in art nouveau atyle with another tower.
Modern shopping palaces surround the rest of the square. This one here is the most remarkable of them. It has been designed by some American star architect. The facade consists entirely of glass and steel and doessome nice reflections.
The shop is just another Kaufhof department store full of things wombats don't need. The best is the restaurant on the top floor and the view from there.
On weekdays there is a market in the square and the adjacent streets where they sell all kinds of stuff.
The facade of the church behind the town hall is also an art nouveau addition. The church itself is several centuries older. You guessed it, it was closed because it was Monday.
Russell_the_Wombat's Related Pages
Chemnitz Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Chemnitz - City of Modernism"
- "Chemnitz - A City in Transition"
- "Chemnitz - Karl-Marx-Stadt - Chemnitz"
- "Chemnitz formerly known as Karl Marx Stadt :)"
- "Karl-Marx-Stadt --> Chemnitz"
- "Chemnitz, Saxony - Germany"
- "Bonios lunch stop in Chemnitz"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Chemnitz
- Hotels in Chemnitz
- Transportation in Chemnitz
- Nightlife in Chemnitz
- Restaurants in Chemnitz
- Shopping in Chemnitz
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Chemnitz
- 0 Reviews
- 78 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (1)
Have you been to Chemnitz?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Chemnitz
Photos in ChemnitzSee All Photos (78)
Top 10 Pages
- Berlin Intro, 118 photos, 15 travelogues
- Wroclaw Intro, 111 photos, 16 travelogues
- Baden-Baden Intro, 98 photos, 13 travelogues
- Schwetzingen Intro, 97 photos, 14 travelogues
- Stuttgart Intro, 94 photos, 13 travelogues
- Karlsruhe Intro, 94 photos, 12 travelogues
- Basel Intro, 89 photos, 12 travelogues
- Würzburg Intro, 83 photos, 10 travelogues
- Hanau am Main Intro, 83 photos, 10 travelogues
- Chemnitz Intro, 78 photos, 11 travelogues