"Henry van de Velde's Villas" Chemnitz Travelogue by Russell_the_Wombat
Chemnitz Travel Guide: 138 reviews and 628 photos
Talking of art nouveau... In the late afternoon after the visit to Klaffenbach we went to see a very special art nouveau building.
There was a family in Chemnitz who had become very rich with the making of socks and stockings. (The climate in Saxony can be chilly so people need a lot of socks and they sell well, I think.) Anyway, this family, their name was Esche, was good at their business but they were also into arts and culture. They were friends with a Belgian guy who was about to become a famous architect and designer: Henry van de Velde.
They asked their mate Henry to design a new villa for them. So far they had been living in a rental apartment on Kassberg, now they wanted a house with garden of their own and in in quieter surroundings. Henry designed everything, from the architecture to the furniture to plates and cutlery. The villa is a museum now - photos of our visit inside are in the following travelogue.
Soon after the completion of Villa Esche, our dear Henry found another client in Chemnitz. The Körners were related with the Esches and after seeing the latters' new villa they wanted one, too.
Villa Körner is less well known and not accessible that easily. It is used for the studios of a dentist and a lawyer - two professions we rather avoid unless inevitable.
Russell_the_Wombat's Related Pages
Chemnitz Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Chemnitz - A City in Transition"
- "Chemnitz - City of Modernism"
- "Chemnitz - Karl-Marx-Stadt - Chemnitz"
- "Chemnitz formerly known as Karl Marx Stadt :)"
- "Karl-Marx-Stadt --> Chemnitz"
- "Chemnitz, Saxony - Germany"
- "Bonios lunch stop in Chemnitz"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Chemnitz
- Hotels in Chemnitz
- Transportation in Chemnitz
- Nightlife in Chemnitz
- Restaurants in Chemnitz
- Shopping in Chemnitz
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Chemnitz
- 0 Reviews
- 78 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (1)
Have you been to Chemnitz?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Chemnitz
Photos in ChemnitzSee All Photos (78)
Top 10 Pages
- Berlin Intro, 118 photos, 15 travelogues
- Wroclaw Intro, 111 photos, 16 travelogues
- Baden-Baden Intro, 98 photos, 13 travelogues
- Schwetzingen Intro, 97 photos, 14 travelogues
- Stuttgart Intro, 94 photos, 13 travelogues
- Karlsruhe Intro, 94 photos, 12 travelogues
- Basel Intro, 89 photos, 12 travelogues
- Würzburg Intro, 83 photos, 10 travelogues
- Hanau am Main Intro, 83 photos, 10 travelogues
- Chemnitz Intro, 78 photos, 11 travelogues