"Buildings and Squares in the Town Centre" Zwickau Travelogue by Russell_the_Wombat
Zwickau Travel Guide: 71 reviews and 419 photos
Zwickau's city centre is a mix of old and new, pretty and ugly.
On my left there is a beautiful late medieval house named the "Thin Beer House" (Dünnebierhaus) after its first owner. I wonder about the quality of the drinks they had in there.
The Plattenbau apartment blocks have been renovated and decorated with a large mural that shows the street view as it was before the war. Sniff. In the far background of the big photo you can spot the church of St Catherine.
This is ZwickauÄs main market square with the modern fountain, the tram line that runs right through it, and the steeple of the cathedral far in the back.
Another view of the market square from the opposite end. There is the town hall on the right, and the Gewandhaus in the middle. The Gewandhaus used to be the guild house of the cloth makers and merchants, Nowadays it contains the city's theatre.
Of course there are some pubs and restaurants in the square. And again the steeple of the cathedral.
Another, smaller market square was reserved for trading grain, hence it is called Kornmarkt. Its most remarkable building is a ship. The ochre house behind me is named "Schiffchen" (little ship) because its shape resembles the front of a boat.
Russell_the_Wombat's Related Pages
Zwickau Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Robert Schumann, cars and more"
- "Zwickau: Home to Trabant and Robert Schumann"
- "Spending an afternoon at the police station..."
- "Zwickau in Sachsen"
- "A Wombat in Zwickau"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Zwickau
- Hotels in Zwickau
- Transportation in Zwickau
- Nightlife in Zwickau
- Restaurants in Zwickau
- Warnings and Dangers in Zwickau
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Zwickau
- 0 Reviews
- 42 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (1)
Have you been to Zwickau?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Zwickau
Photos in ZwickauSee All Photos (42)
Top 10 Pages
- Berlin Intro, 118 photos, 15 travelogues
- Wroclaw Intro, 111 photos, 16 travelogues
- Baden-Baden Intro, 98 photos, 13 travelogues
- Schwetzingen Intro, 97 photos, 14 travelogues
- Stuttgart Intro, 94 photos, 13 travelogues
- Karlsruhe Intro, 94 photos, 12 travelogues
- Basel Intro, 89 photos, 12 travelogues
- Würzburg Intro, 83 photos, 10 travelogues
- Hanau am Main Intro, 83 photos, 10 travelogues
- Chemnitz Intro, 78 photos, 11 travelogues