"2011-09-11 - Paris VT Meet - Day 3" Paris Travelogue by Kaspian
Paris Travel Guide: 22,753 reviews and 56,278 photos
Left to right: Belsaita, longsanborn, Penelope4, BorneoGrrl, jacquesrenaud.
I'm pretty sure when he organized a meeting at Cafe des 2 Moulins, the restaurant where the movie "Le fabuleux destin d'Amelie Poulain" was filmed, pfsmalo wasn't aware that the biggest fan in the group was the tall, Canadian, punk-rock cowboy guy. But I confess, chick-flick or not, I love the film! I usually watch it once a year--one one of those dreary, cold, dark, snowy days where nothing seems right, I can throw that movie on, laugh my head off and be left in a great optimistic mood. I would've visited this cafe during this trip whether it was a VT event or not. Sharing the moment with some international friends just made it even more special.
After a hot coffee, pastries, and a few more introductions (many people had been to events over the weekend, yet still hadn't officially met), we headed out in the drizzling rain for a walk about the world-famous Paris neighbourhood of Montmartre.
Among the many historically important statues, building, and parks, was the statue of "Le Passe-Muraille" ("The man who could walk through walls"). He's a character from a fictional story written by Marcel Ayme in 1943. The story goes that at age 42 an office clerk named Dutilleul discovers he has the ability to walk through walls. He goes on to create some great trouble for his boss and the police by... Wait a minute! I'm not telling you the story, go look it up for yourself!
Clockwise: suvanki, alyf1961, Gillybob, Slapshot1, Lilly.
Nothing was officially planned for a Sunday night dinner, and that's where Gillybob always seems to excel at stepping up to the plate. She picked a meeting time at a metro stop in the Latin quarter, passed the info along to interested members, and 12 of us showed up. We settled on "Saveurs de Savoie", and (although I could see them using the microwave behind me for some of the food), I had one of the best meals of my entire week vacation--onion soup, beef bourguignon, and creme brulee for dessert. Thanks, Gilly!!
After dinner, most of the gang had to rush back to their hotels to start packing for early morning flights, so I spent several hours strolling around with Slapshot1 and his wife, Lilly. We walked down to the Seine and a spectacular view of Notre Dame Cathedral with a full moon in the background greeted us. Not wanting to let go of that view, we found a nearby cafe and sat down for a few glasses of beer (Lilly opted for hot chocolate). Cheers you two!
More Travelogues (2)
Written May 9, 2016
2011-09-09 - Paris VT Meet - Day 1
Written May 9, 2016
2011-09-10 - Paris VT Meet - Day 2
Kaspian's Related Pages
Paris Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "My Paris: not only operas and bicycles . . ."
- "Perambulations in Paris!"
- "London is a riddle. Paris is an explanation."
- "PARIS POUR LA CULTURE!"
- "Paris - Over 40 years of love and hate."
- "The charm of Paris stays in its History"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Paris
- Hotels in Paris
- Transportation in Paris
- Nightlife in Paris
- Restaurants in Paris
- Shopping in Paris
- Warnings and Dangers in Paris
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Paris
- 0 Reviews
- 27 Photos
- 6 Forum posts
- 8 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (10)
Have you been to Paris?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Paris
Top 10 Pages
- Toronto Intro, 22 reviews, 96 photos, 2 travelogues
- London Intro, 21 reviews, 82 photos, 2 travelogues
- Playa del Carmen Intro, 17 reviews, 79 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cancún Intro, 29 reviews, 59 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tulum Intro, 14 reviews, 63 photos, 5 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 11 reviews, 57 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tombstone Intro, 11 reviews, 55 photos, 2 travelogues
- Saint Augustine Intro, 6 reviews, 53 photos, 3 travelogues
- North Bay Intro, 18 reviews, 39 photos
- Halifax Intro, 9 reviews, 38 photos, 3 travelogues