"2011 Leeds Heritage Weekend: 10th September 2011" Top 5 Page for this destination Leeds Travelogue by spidermiss
Leeds Travel Guide: 639 reviews and 1,929 photos
As part of the National Heritage Weekend in Leeds, Leeds Civic Trust held a number of walks over the weekend including the one I chose.
I've deciided to join the 'Holbeck: Cradle of Industrial Revolution'. There were approximately 50 of us so we were divided into two groups.
We learnt about John Marshall and Matthew Murray on the walk. John Marshall specialised in flax spinning and Matthew Murray was a mechanical engineer. In 1789 they bought a land in Holbeck and began their business and promoted the use of steam for machinery in the mills.
We look around some of the buildings where their business operated such as Round Foundry, Saw Mill Yard, Marshall Mills, The Rotunda, Temple Mill and many other interesting buildings.
Matthew Murray was known as the 'Father of Leeds Engineering' He built the Round Foundry Engines and designed the steam locomotive for the railway between Leeds and Middleton.
Today a lot of regeneration and redevelopment work has took place and this is now known as Holbeck Urban Village.
Temple Mill was erected by Joseph Bonomi in 1838-40 and based on an Egpytian Temple at Edfu.
Temple Mill had advance facilities at the time with underwater heating and a turf roof.
Flax spinning was the main activity at the mill.
More Travelogues (35)
- See All Fearnville Fields
- See All The place for cocktails!
- See All A celebration and spa retreat!
- See All Oakwood, North East Leeds
- See All Ice cream sundaes!
spidermiss' Related Pages
Leeds Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "LEEDS, LIVE IT, LOVE IT"
- "My Home!!!"
- "Lively Leeds"
- "Leeds ? A victorian city wakes up"
- "Leeds, West Yorkshire"
- "Leeds: The Largest City in the North"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Leeds
- Hotels in Leeds
- Transportation in Leeds
- Nightlife in Leeds
- Restaurants in Leeds
- Shopping in Leeds
- Warnings and Dangers in Leeds
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Leeds
- 153 Reviews
- 787 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 14 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (52)
Have you been to Leeds?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Leeds
- Uploaded a Photo to "Leeds And Liverpool Canal"
- Wrote a Review Fearnville Fields about Fearnville Fields in Leeds Things to Do
- updated a Leeds Travelogue "Canal Walk from Kirkstall to Rodley"
- Commented on one of spidermiss's Leeds tips
- Posted in Travel London Forum "Re: Overnight acommodation at..."
Photos in LeedsSee All Photos (787)
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 193 reviews, 800 photos, 19 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Leeds Intro, 150 reviews, 774 photos, 36 travelogues
- York Intro, 76 reviews, 294 photos, 5 travelogues
- Manchester Intro, 51 reviews, 262 photos, 10 travelogues
- Liverpool Intro, 33 reviews, 143 photos, 3 travelogues
- Buenos Aires Intro, 44 reviews, 112 photos
- Cardiff Intro, 34 reviews, 116 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sheffield Intro, 26 reviews, 116 photos, 2 travelogues
- Bath Intro, 31 reviews, 109 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Plymouth Intro, 31 reviews, 106 photos, 2 travelogues