"Lace, or : How To Sew Holes Together?" Plauen Travelogue by Russell_the_Wombat
Plauen Travel Guide: 16 reviews and 131 photos
This building with the beautiful gable is the old town hall. (No, it is not slanted, that's just the photo.) It is located in the main market square of the old town.
The old town hall hosts a museum about lace-making. here we learned how these delicate things were made, those that consist of many holes sewn together.
I thought you simply bite holes into a piece of fabric. That's what a wombat would do. Achieving regular patterns might be difficult that way, but it is all a matter of skill and concentration.
Humans have different techniques. Probably their teeth are not as good as ours. They first used needles, then some wooden thingies that wrap threads round each other, then they invented big machines that did the work for them.
After the museum we visited another place, a show workshop with old machines. A nice lady showed us round and explained the techniques and how new machines improved.
These three are a triple machine that embroiders three times the same picture.
Russell_the_Wombat's Related Pages
Plauen Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Plauen
- Hotels in Plauen
- Transportation in Plauen
- Restaurants in Plauen
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Plauen
- 0 Reviews
- 45 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (1)
Have you been to Plauen?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Plauen
Photos in PlauenSee All Photos (45)
Top 10 Pages
- Berlin Intro, 118 photos, 15 travelogues
- Wroclaw Intro, 111 photos, 16 travelogues
- Baden-Baden Intro, 98 photos, 13 travelogues
- Schwetzingen Intro, 97 photos, 14 travelogues
- Stuttgart Intro, 94 photos, 13 travelogues
- Karlsruhe Intro, 94 photos, 12 travelogues
- Basel Intro, 89 photos, 12 travelogues
- Würzburg Intro, 83 photos, 10 travelogues
- Hanau am Main Intro, 83 photos, 10 travelogues
- Chemnitz Intro, 78 photos, 11 travelogues