"2011-09-09 - Paris VT Meet - Day 1" Paris Travelogue by Kaspian
Paris Travel Guide: 22,753 reviews and 56,278 photos
Friday morning pfsmalo was nice enough to organize a get together for early arrivals in Square Rene Viviani to see the roses, sit down for some lunch, and then go on a walking tour of the Latin Quarter. Well done, buddy!
Santa Gillybob showed up shortly carting a heavy sack of VT swag toys for all the good girls and boys. Flags, sandals, T-shirts, and stick on tattoos were given all around. Err... Even if people were bad (as I pride myself on being) they were also required to take something because in her own words, "I'm certainly not carrying all this crap back to Manchester!"
A place had to be chosen to get together in the evening, and I chose the Mad Maker Pub--which at the time was ranked online as "Paris's #1 Pub". Well, I don't know what sort of pub plays loud death metal and hires giant bouncers who look like they were flown in direct from Chicago, but there we were anyway. I can see why the venue's ranking has slipped in recent months. ...However, it's very difficult to find a place in the Latin Quarter which isn't a restaurant and individuals can where buy drinks direct from the bar as they go along.
Clockwise from bottom: stevemt, jacquesrenaud, Dabs, Howard, pfsmalo, KShezz.
It's always good to meet someone new at a VT meet. I was glad to make the acquaintance of jacquesrenaud, a Parisian gentlemen, who as far as I know was the only true born-and-bred in France VT member to show up to over the weekend. Also impressive was the fact that the dude went straight to the bar and ordered a whole pitcher of beer. Nice to meet you, Jacques, and thanks for letting me practice my rusted French with ya!
And some familiar faces... Always good to see out at a VT meet--MATIM, her daughter VonDutch, and Bernd_L. Talking to them, I realized I hadn't seen VonDutch since the VT Euromeet in Marbella 5 years ago! Wow, time flies doesn't it? Bernd_L--I really hope to make it to one of your Karlsruhe Christmas Markets meets some year soon.
So, after having our ears properly blasted out by the Mad Maker, a small group of us wandered up the street to the Bombardier Pub, an English bar that was quieter, less crowded, and notably sans scary, angry bouncer guy.
Next Page >>
More Travelogues (2)
Written May 9, 2016
2011-09-10 - Paris VT Meet - Day 2
Written May 9, 2016
2011-09-11 - Paris VT Meet - Day 3
Kaspian's Related Pages
Paris Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "My Paris: not only operas and bicycles . . ."
- "Perambulations in Paris!"
- "London is a riddle. Paris is an explanation."
- "PARIS POUR LA CULTURE!"
- "Paris - Over 40 years of love and hate."
- "The charm of Paris stays in its History"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Paris
- Hotels in Paris
- Transportation in Paris
- Nightlife in Paris
- Restaurants in Paris
- Shopping in Paris
- Warnings and Dangers in Paris
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Paris
- 0 Reviews
- 27 Photos
- 6 Forum posts
- 8 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (10)
Have you been to Paris?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Paris
Top 10 Pages
- Toronto Intro, 22 reviews, 96 photos, 2 travelogues
- London Intro, 21 reviews, 82 photos, 2 travelogues
- Playa del Carmen Intro, 17 reviews, 79 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cancún Intro, 29 reviews, 59 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tulum Intro, 14 reviews, 63 photos, 5 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 11 reviews, 57 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tombstone Intro, 11 reviews, 55 photos, 2 travelogues
- Saint Augustine Intro, 6 reviews, 53 photos, 3 travelogues
- North Bay Intro, 18 reviews, 39 photos
- Halifax Intro, 9 reviews, 38 photos, 3 travelogues