"2011-09-09 - Paris VT Meet - Day 1" Paris Travelogue by Kaspian

Paris Travel Guide: 22,753 reviews and 56,278 photos

Picnic & Walk From Square Rene Viviani

Friday morning pfsmalo was nice enough to organize a get together for early arrivals in Square Rene Viviani to see the roses, sit down for some lunch, and then go on a walking tour of the Latin Quarter. Well done, buddy!

Santa Gillybob showed up shortly carting a heavy sack of VT swag toys for all the good girls and boys. Flags, sandals, T-shirts, and stick on tattoos were given all around. Err... Even if people were bad (as I pride myself on being) they were also required to take something because in her own words, "I'm certainly not carrying all this crap back to Manchester!"

At the Mad Maker Pub That Evening

A place had to be chosen to get together in the evening, and I chose the Mad Maker Pub--which at the time was ranked online as "Paris's #1 Pub". Well, I don't know what sort of pub plays loud death metal and hires giant bouncers who look like they were flown in direct from Chicago, but there we were anyway. I can see why the venue's ranking has slipped in recent months. ...However, it's very difficult to find a place in the Latin Quarter which isn't a restaurant and individuals can where buy drinks direct from the bar as they go along.

Clockwise from bottom: stevemt, jacquesrenaud, Dabs, Howard, pfsmalo, KShezz.

It's always good to meet someone new at a VT meet. I was glad to make the acquaintance of jacquesrenaud, a Parisian gentlemen, who as far as I know was the only true born-and-bred in France VT member to show up to over the weekend. Also impressive was the fact that the dude went straight to the bar and ordered a whole pitcher of beer. Nice to meet you, Jacques, and thanks for letting me practice my rusted French with ya!

And some familiar faces... Always good to see out at a VT meet--MATIM, her daughter VonDutch, and Bernd_L. Talking to them, I realized I hadn't seen VonDutch since the VT Euromeet in Marbella 5 years ago! Wow, time flies doesn't it? Bernd_L--I really hope to make it to one of your Karlsruhe Christmas Markets meets some year soon.

Even Later at the Bombardier Pub

So, after having our ears properly blasted out by the Mad Maker, a small group of us wandered up the street to the Bombardier Pub, an English bar that was quieter, less crowded, and notably sans scary, angry bouncer guy.

Next Page >>