"At the Town and Mining Museum" Marienberg Travelogue by Russell_the_Wombat
Marienberg Travel Guide: 27 reviews and 157 photos
The museum shows and explains the history of the town and the surrounding region, which of course involves a lot about mining. What I liked best were the model "mountains" with scenes form life in these areas. Enthusiastic humans have built them in many hours of work. The trick about them is: they are mobile. Mechanical constructions allow figures and items to move.
The big one above shows the building of a water reservoir in the mountains. The cranes carry and drop their load, the woodcutters cut timber with their saws...
The winter scene depicts skiing on the slopes of Oberwiesenthal, with lift and cable car running and skiers coming downhill.
Some interactive electronic toys were provided for the visitors. Here I am listening to local folk music from the earphones.
A view into a mine. I am still amazed how much efforts humans take for an activity that is as simple as digging a tunnel in the ground.
Russell_the_Wombat's Related Pages
Marienberg Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Marienberg - Renaissance town in the mountains"
- "Marienberg - Renaissance Mining Town"
- "Marienberg, in exDDR"
- "A Wombat in Marienberg"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Marienberg
- Transportation in Marienberg
- Restaurants in Marienberg
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Marienberg
- 0 Reviews
- 23 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (1)
Have you been to Marienberg?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Marienberg
Photos in MarienbergSee All Photos (23)
Top 10 Pages
- Berlin Intro, 118 photos, 15 travelogues
- Wroclaw Intro, 111 photos, 16 travelogues
- Baden-Baden Intro, 98 photos, 13 travelogues
- Schwetzingen Intro, 97 photos, 14 travelogues
- Stuttgart Intro, 94 photos, 13 travelogues
- Karlsruhe Intro, 94 photos, 12 travelogues
- Basel Intro, 89 photos, 12 travelogues
- Würzburg Intro, 83 photos, 10 travelogues
- Hanau am Main Intro, 83 photos, 10 travelogues
- Chemnitz Intro, 78 photos, 11 travelogues