"And wandering Beacon Hill..." Boston Travelogue by leics

Boston Travel Guide: 3,999 reviews and 8,983 photos

It was inevitable, given my interests that I would walk the Beacon Hill district.

Unfortunately I chose a Sunday. Not only was it a hot and sticky day but all parts of central Boston seemed to be heaving with locals, visitors, tourbuses and cars.

I didn't have the energy to walk as far as I would normally have done, nor to explore in as much depth. But what I saw of Beacon Hill I liked very much.

I especially liked the feel of times past created by the brick buildings, the mature trees, the narrow streets. Acorn Street (main photo) still has its original cobbles, dating from the early 1800s.

I appreciated the fact that the gas-lamps still exist and are still lit 24/7 (originally it was cheaper to do this than have them doused and re-lighted every day).

I appreciated the fact that the city and its residents have taken the time, trouble and money to ensure the district remains much as it as.

Beacon Hill is still a bastion of wealth and privilege, of course, just as it has been for centuries. That fact is reflected in the type of shops on, for example, Charles Street...and in their prices.

But it is definitely worth spending some time wandering the streets (perhaps not on the weekend?). It will give you a real feeling for what the wealthier parts of the city looked like in past times.

But I didn't give this district as much time as it deserves and, if I return to Boston, I shall certainly explore further.

Trees and brickwork

Narrow streets

Charles Street building (early 1800s?)

Facing-tile detail

Leaves and bay windows on chestnut Street

Purple window panes on Beacon Street

Beacon Street architecture

• Page Updated May 9, 2016

“'Take clothes you can layer....' :-)”

Badges & Stats in Boston