"The Parthenon" Athens Travelogue by SWFC_Fan

Athens Travel Guide: 4,493 reviews and 10,738 photos

The Parthenon

I climbed the Acropolis to visit Athens' famous Parthenon during a visit to the city in October 2005.

Some famous sights are a let down when you finally visit them in person, failing to live up to expectations - but I'm pleased to report that the Parthenon wasn't one of them! The sense of history was palpable.

There was a little restoration work going on at the time, which detracted slightly from the experience, as did the bus loads of tourists that were also visiting the site at the same time that I was. The latter was to be expected.

The views from the Parthenon over Athens are amazing - almost as breathtaking as the ruins themselves. However, one thing that surprised me is that the Parthenon isn't as visible from ground level as I expected it to be. I naively thought that the Parthenon would be towering above me wherever I was in the city, providing a constant backdrop for my photos. In fact, I only caught the occasional glimpse of the Parthenon at ground level, and even then a mainly obscured view that didn't make for very good photos.

Instead, I found the best place to snap photos of the Parthenon from a distance to be the summit of The Hill of The Muses (Philopappos Hill) where you get an unobscured view of the ruins.

• Page Updated May 9, 2016

“Next stops: Chile (November), Cluj-Napoca (December)”

Badges & Stats in Athens