"Auschwitz" Krakow Travelogue by Skibbe

Krakow Travel Guide: 4,500 reviews and 10,636 photos

Never Forget

What can I say about this site that hasn't been said by others far wiser and more eloquent than I am? I'll just say what I remember thinking when I was there. I remember being more contemplative than anything else. I thought about how I had parted with those who raised me in that I had never believed God could create Hell but that here for five years in Poland, he did. And I remember being depressed because I cannot convince myself nothing like this could happen again. After all, the cruelty was not uncommon in human history, just the scale. And with the way I still see people using others as scapegoats and using ethnicity and religion to divide the world, I just can't believe humanity has learned enough from this.

Auschwitz-Birkenau is about 45 minutes from Krakow. In my opinion, it is handled well by the Polish government. They have managed to keep the atmosphere respectful despite the large crowds. Guides speak into devices you are given so they aren't shouting in close areas. There are few vendors and the only merchandise sold are books.

I read the book "Eyewitness Auschwitz" by Filip Muller during my trip to Poland and would recommend it, though so much of it is really painful to get through.

Auschwitz was the original camp and Birkenau was built in 1943. The first travelogue is of Auschwitz.

Gateway to Auschwitz

The translation is "Work Makes You Free." Of course it was a lie as the Nazia never released anyone from Auschwitz

• Page Updated May 9, 2016

More Travelogues (1)

“"The world is full of magic things, patiently waiting for our senses to grow sharper." W.B. Yeats”

Badges & Stats in Krakow