"Tianamen Square" Beijing Travelogue by jpud99930

Beijing Travel Guide: 6,610 reviews and 16,777 photos

Tianamen Square

Here we are at the south gate of Tianamen Square. The figures given to us were the square is about 60 football fields big and can hold 1 million people at one time. It's in the centre of Beijing and across from the Fobidden City.
You have to go through security to get onto the square. It semed that they checked their own people closer than us.

Friends

Just like on the Wall, the people wanted to take pictures with us. I think many of the people here come at least once in their life to this place and if they can get pictures with westerners.
Found people to be friendly.

Assembly Building

This structure is their National assembly Building. It holds about 10,000 for their meetings.
Many of the buildings here have strong Russian influence. Big square uninviting buildings. Behind me to the east is the National Muzeum. And as always there's just people everywhere.

Mao's Mausoleum

This is where mao in intombed. This is in the centre of the square. You can view him lying in state.We went in around noon and there wasn't too bad of a line. At times the line can be extremely long.
There are no bags and camera's allowed.No photography allowed inside.
This is a big deal here, it's very solemn once inside. No talking and you pass by him. He's in a air tight enclosure which is raised from a floor below.
What I found interesting was he had the Old Russian Flag draped over him. The hammer and sickle were on the flag.

Parking Lot

This just shows just the expance of the square. Here we are walking north to the Forbidden City in the distance.

Raising of the Flag

Every morning they raise the flag and play the anthem at sunrise. We were expecting just a few people but as it turns out there was about 100,000 people there.
After they finish many of the people who are in tours, they rush to get in line to see Mao in state.

Green shoe photo

Here I am caught in the act. Taking a picture of Mao's portrait between my shoes.
The chinese thought this was funny and called me "Silly Man".

• Page Updated May 9, 2016

Comments

jpud99930

“See the world,it's a beautiful place”

Badges & Stats in Beijing

Have you been to Beijing?

Latest Activity in Beijing