"Hungry Ghost Festival in BM" Bukit Mertajam Travelogue by AngMimi
Bukit Mertajam Travel Guide: 41 reviews and 186 photos
The seventh Chinese Calender month belongs to Hungry Ghost Month and could be the most important festival in chinese religion, infact every chinese calender month have a lot of festivals going on..
King of Hades, the guardian of Hell. Only in Penang island and Bukit Mertajam, you could see this giant effigy of King of Hades and much celebrated by the chinese community here than other states in Msia.
King of Hades, of cos have assistant to help him to control of ghost. They are Tua Pek Yah and Jee Pek Yah.. I actually dare not see much of this things.. talk about scary..here a scary stories of what you shouldnt do during this month.
1. Tell ghost stories
When two or more people group together to talk about ghost stories in the middle of the night, they will tend to attract unwanted attention from wandering spirits and ghosts! The Chinese has a saying "Don't talk about ghosts at night and don't talk about humans in the day".
2. Whistle in the night
If you are one who love to whistle, do it in the daytime. Whistling at night seems to attract ghosts! If you can't resist your favourite tune, try humming or singing instead.
3. Cut your finger nails at night
If you cut your finger nails after dark, you run the risk of seeing a ghost! I am not sure about cutting your toe nails, however.
4. Swim in the lake or sea
It is a general belief that swimmers will have a higher chance of getting drowned during the month of the Hungry Ghost. This is because ghosts like to stay in the water due to its "yin" environment and they will likely drag you down into the water.
5. Hang your clothes out at night
Wandering ghosts may get attached to your clothes
This boy is incharged of tolling the bell for each donation of lighting the oil lamps.
6. Touch the offerings meant for hungry ghosts
The food and burnings you see at the road side are offerings for the hungry ghosts. Do not mess or touch the offerings or even step on them. You might offend the ghosts and they may disturb you or follow you back home!
7. Wear red or black colour clothes
Not sure the reason why but ghosts seem to dig dark-coloured clothes especially red and black! Wear something bright like white or yellow instead.
8. Going out late at night
Since hungry ghosts are roaming the streets during this month, it is fair to say that your chances of bumping into them are much higher. Try to stay home more often during this entire month or at least be back before midnight. And if you are a pregnant woman, avoid going out at all costs since ghosts are attracted to foetuses.
9. Walk in the dark and near the walls
If you really have no choice but to go out at night, it is advisable to walk at brightly lit areas and where there are crowds. Ghosts like to walk (or fly?) along walls and stay around dark corners, so avoid walking close to the walls!
10. Answer when someone calls your name
If you hear someone calls your name at night, do not by any chance turn around and look, or worse, answer that call! If you do, the ghost may just reveal itself to you!
Superstitions? Myths? Nonsense? Maybe.
Tomorrow, the Hungry Ghost Festival will be end ...yeah..! Thank Goodness its over.. Hmm..I feel like Im a tourist in Bukit Mertajam. First time attending this event.
AngMimi's Related Pages
Bukit Mertajam Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Mengkuang Dam, Bukit Mertjam"
- "Bukit Mertajam (BM)"
- "Bukit Mertajam"
- "Bee's Birth Place"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Bukit Mertajam
- Transportation in Bukit Mertajam
- Restaurants in Bukit Mertajam
- Warnings and Dangers in Bukit Mertajam
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Bukit Mertajam
- 23 Reviews
- 153 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (13)
Have you been to Bukit Mertajam?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bukit Mertajam
Photos in Bukit MertajamSee All Photos (153)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sungai Petani Intro, 37 reviews, 175 photos, 4 travelogues
- Penang Intro, 29 reviews, 171 photos, 6 travelogues
- Bukit Mertajam Intro, 23 reviews, 153 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Siem Reap Intro, 34 reviews, 112 photos
- Temengor Intro, 26 reviews, 120 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cameron Highlands Intro, 20 reviews, 113 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Danau Toba Intro, 21 reviews, 104 photos, 3 travelogues
- Pulau Aman Intro, 16 reviews, 95 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination George Town Intro, 21 reviews, 87 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hat Yai Intro, 20 reviews, 70 photos