"Jacksonville Zoo & Gardens" Top 5 Page for this destination Jacksonville Travelogue by HumblyServingChrist
Jacksonville Travel Guide: 391 reviews and 760 photos
After an aggressive long-term growth plan, the Jacksonville Zoo & Gardens is a must see for animal lovers. Covering acres of riverfront land in Jacksonville's Northside, some of the zoo's attractions include the "Tuxedo Coast" Magellianic penguin exhibit, a stingray lagoon, Asian komodo dragons and bamboo gardens, "Great Apes of the World," a renovated bird aviary, "Wild Florida" (a wetlands attraction), the 11-acre "Plains of East Africa," and a giraffe overlook that literally puts you nose to nose with these gentle giants. The zoo's premier attraction, "Range of the Jaguar," is an excellent complex of its own. Designed as a recreated Latin American village and temple, the attraction includes a restaurant with large picture windows allowing you to watch these mighty cats while you eat. The lion, elephant and aardvark exhibits are also exceptional!
In addition to the animals, the zoo also features the largest thatched-roof structure in North America, Main Camp Safari Lodge, which serves as the park's entrance in addition to housing a gift shop, meeting space and party areas. When the Main Camp was built, the zoo brought in authentic Zulu craftsmen from Africa to weave the thatching by hand.
Other attractions include a narrated train tour, medical and educational facilities, boat docks and a variety of other large and small animal exhibits. Special holiday events like Spooktacular and Christmas lighting draw large crowds to the zoo after dark.
Visit my Florida page.
More Travelogues (15)
- See All Jacksonville's Beach Town Center
- See All Catch some Jacksonville Suns baseball!
- See All Great beach life atmosphere!
- Avoid the Northwest Quadrant of the city
- See All Independence Day Fireworks
- See All Natural beauty and upscale pleasures by...
HumblyServingChrist's Related Pages
Jacksonville Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Jacksonville & America's First Coast"
- "Large Metropolitan City"
- "jacksonville florida"
- "A Story On Jacksonville"
- "Bold New City of the South"
- "Jacksonville - Surprisingly Rich for Tourists"
- "Jacksonville, FL... passing thru...."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Jacksonville
- Hotels in Jacksonville
- Transportation in Jacksonville
- Nightlife in Jacksonville
- Restaurants in Jacksonville
- Shopping in Jacksonville
- Warnings and Dangers in Jacksonville
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Jacksonville
- 149 Reviews
- 376 Photos
- 12 Forum posts
- 11 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (6)
Have you been to Jacksonville?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Jacksonville
- updated a Jacksonville Travel Page "Jacksonville & America's First Coast"
- Wrote a Review Jacksonville's Beach Town Center about Beach in Jacksonville Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Jacksonville's Beach Town Center"
- Uploaded a Video to Jacksonville
- Posted in Travel Tampa Forum "Best vantage points of the skyline"
- Commented on one of Maples01's Jacksonville travel pages
Photos in JacksonvilleSee All Photos (376)
Videos in JacksonvilleSee All Videos (4)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Jacksonville Intro, 149 reviews, 380 photos, 16 travelogues
- Orlando Intro, 6 reviews, 72 photos, 6 travelogues
- Atlantic Beach Intro, 3 reviews, 75 photos, 9 travelogues
- Winter Haven Intro, 2 reviews, 69 photos, 7 travelogues
- Saint Pete Beach Intro, 67 photos, 8 travelogues
- Florida Intro, 7 reviews, 53 photos, 3 travelogues
- Saint Petersburg Intro, 2 reviews, 44 photos, 5 travelogues
- Tampa Intro, 3 reviews, 32 photos, 6 travelogues
- Clearwater Intro, 35 photos, 4 travelogues
- Jacksonville Beach Intro, 1 review, 32 photos, 3 travelogues
No friends yet.