"Suet goes to Chicago!" Personal Page by goodfish
Our own Sue T was my Virtual Guest at the June 17-18, 2011 meet in the Windy City and she had one hell of a good time. Actually, Goodfish had a pretty good time too - so good that she sometimes forgot that poor Sue was all stuffed away in the backpack: naughty me.
Here are some of the places we went, people we met and things we did together....
After handshakes and hugs all around at the Friday Night Meet 'n Greet, we made like jumping beans at the landmark resembling that legume. Suet, as relics of the 60's, we could have had a groovy time with this thing after a bit of, er, herb.
After some leaping about at The Bean, we trotted off to a lovely concert in the park. The music was classical and we tried our very best to conduct ourselves in a decorous manner appropriate for that genre.
I said we TRIED - not that we actually ACCOMPLISHED that. They didn't pitch us out for giggling, snarfing cookies and popcorn or generally spreading VT hilarity, anyway.
After the concert, we were off for some genuine Chicago pizza and beer. You and I had a serious discussion about the merits of both, decided we were in favor, and proceeded to do serious damage to pan and pint.
The next morning, we skipped the boat in favor of an architectural wander and bracing ale before the group waddle (we ate all that pizza, remember?) in the afternoon. Here we are with our pint at the Tilted Kilt on Wabash St. Interesting place, that - the waitlasses were dressed (or rather, almost dressed) in wee kilts and tiny plaid brassières that would make any proper Scotsman blush to his sporran. The "L' also passed over our heads every 5 minutes. "WHAT?? WHAT???"
Goodfish has a bad habit of being overly prompt so we arrived at the Cultural Center for our walkabout with time to kill. Looking (naturally) for trouble, the few early arrivals made like stupid tourists with a bronze cow that just HAS to be there for stupid tourists to make complete asses of themselves.
Figuring (correctly) that keeping our VT lot all together was an accident waiting to happen, we were split into groups and taken off for our excellent history lesson on Old Town. We managed to conduct ourselves with some semblance of dignity, and Donna_in_ India and I found a lovely little garden for you, Barney and Classroom Travels to have a bit of a sitdown.
Our Fearless Leader (Riorich55) abandoned his valiant attempts to keep us under control, unleashed the unruly mob on the Adobo Grill, and collapsed. Last we saw him, he was under a table clutching a bottle of tequila and chewing a VT flag.
Here we are with our margarita. We had several. We agreed on the merits of those too. Ahhh... the perfect end to a perfect day and a brilliant meet!
So, Suet, where's our next gadabout? Can you say "BER-ga-mo?" :)
Top Travel Pages
Share your travels with the world!Join Now!
Badges & Stats
- 1,093 Reviews
- 3,621 Photos
- 5 Countries
- 59 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (97)
- Commented on nafchem's profile page
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Music lovers game!"
- goodfish and Dymphna1 are now friends.
- Commented on the Paris travel guide
- Wrote a Review From Soup to Nuts in Coronado Restaurants
- Uploaded a Photo to "Best Free Thing #8: Centennial Park"
- updated a Cabrillo National Monument Travel Page "Lighting the Way"
updated their Personal Page "The Travel Tree"
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Minneapolis Intro, 77 reviews, 318 photos
- Rome Intro, 81 reviews, 307 photos
- San Francisco Intro, 74 reviews, 256 photos
- Paris Intro, 56 reviews, 207 photos
- New York City Intro, 38 reviews, 138 photos
- Florence Intro, 30 reviews, 131 photos
- Italy Intro, 31 reviews, 123 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Saint Paul Intro, 32 reviews, 117 photos
- Chicago Intro, 24 reviews, 113 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Olympic National Park Intro, 36 reviews, 100 photos
- Paris Hotels
- 22200 Reviews - 54008 Photos
- New York City Hotels
- 15557 Reviews - 30993 Photos
- Orlando Hotels
- 3082 Reviews - 5778 Photos
- London Hotels
- 23039 Reviews - 47275 Photos
- Myrtle Beach Hotels
- 319 Reviews - 425 Photos
- Rome Hotels
- 11942 Reviews - 26476 Photos
- Manila Hotels
- 1912 Reviews - 4527 Photos
- Cancún Hotels
- 1930 Reviews - 3719 Photos
- Las Vegas Hotels
- 8369 Reviews - 17097 Photos
- Toronto Hotels
- 4277 Reviews - 8800 Photos
- Baguio Hotels
- 325 Reviews - 885 Photos
- Panama City Beach Hotels
- 193 Reviews - 288 Photos
- Istanbul Hotels
- 7699 Reviews - 19779 Photos
- Melbourne Hotels
- 3342 Reviews - 7500 Photos
- Dubai Hotels
- 2421 Reviews - 6530 Photos