"Stand up paddle (SUP) on the Napa River" Top 5 Page for this destination Napa Travelogue by karenincalifornia

Napa Travel Guide: 441 reviews and 1,237 photos

Old Brazos Railroad Bridge

The Old Brazos Railroad Bridge is no longer used for trains (or anything for that matter), but it is an impressive sight. It dates back to 1905 and has the rotating train track.

Angry Geese

Two angry geese were very upset that I invaded their territory on my SUP board. I wasn't sure if they were calling for reinforcements, but they sure were doing a helluva lot of honking.

Traffic on the Napa River

There wasn't a lot of traffic on the river (Saturday morning). I saw 4 fishing boats, and for the most part, they will slow down when they approach you so as not to create a major wake, although I wouldn't have minded. I also saw two kayaks, and this rower going at a breakneck speed down the river. Check out his wake.

Highway 12 overpass

You saw the old train bridge. Here is the contrasting much newer Highway 12 overpass. I have to say, it is impressive from the water in its own way.

Old Power

This old windmill on the shore of the Napa River was quite quaint.

New Power

Don't need those tiny windmills anymore. We've got those big huge transmission lines.

Explore the sloughs

There's all kinds of sloughs all over, with side passages taking you into them. Best done at high tide.

Don't drop an anchor

Not that you are carrying one on your SUP. It was about here that I saw several signs telling me that I was on top of a PG&E (Pacific Gas & Electric) gas line and I should not drop an anchor. What a frightening picture if I had. Despite this dire warning, I enjoyed the beauty of the river. As I let my imagination run wild, I pictured, the African Queen just around the corner, or Huck Finn and Tom Sawyer approaching on a raft.

• Page Updated May 30, 2011

Comments

karenincalifornia

“Happy hours . . . timeless friends”

Badges & Stats in Napa