"USA VS. UK ON SPELLING" Personal Page by travelgourmet
Okay. Seeing that the subject of English spelling of words in the USA has been thrown about (aboot for Canadians) and most words are very similar in meaning but some spelled differently. Of Course, Canada, being more associated with the English spoken in the United Kingdom, does have a few of the UK differences.
That is the reason for this short but sweet Travelogue. A question asked in Virtual Tourist on Saturday April 9, 2011: "Spelled or Spelt." See the webpage: http://forum.virtualtourist.com/discussion-560850-1-1-Miscellaneous-0-0-World-discussion.html
This forum question was brought back to me as I opened my internet cable home page world news and saw a word not that familiar. Read on.
I know that mistakes in spelling are made quite often in Virtual Tourist's Forums, but as long as I can understand what the VT member is trying to convey, I am fine with any way you want to spell a word.
That made me have a good laugh today, one day after the Miscellaneous Forum entry, "Spelled or Spelt." Opening up my computers home page with all the news of the world glared out at me this headline;
"GUEST LISK LEAKS OUT" sent to my computer from Time Warner Cable. To many this may mean just a misprint, but to many followers of a computer game it is a bit of a shock. Read on.
Technically there is no such word, but it could become one due to a shortened name given to a figure in a computer game. In a very popular computer game, StarCraft II, has been played by college students since the 1990's. The word "lisk" seems to be taken from the name of the basilisk, a legendary reptile that could kill with a single glance that is a unit in the StarCraft II game. It has grown in popularity to the point that the term "LISK" could be added to the Webster Collegiate Dictionary in the future.
What does all this have to do with "Spelled or Spelt" and the difference in the way of meanings in the USA or UK. Nothing, except to say that some words have duel meanings and if "Guest Lisk Leaks Out" means what is written, then the world of StarCraft II is going to change. I mean if you were to leak out as a guest of someone, you would be in quite a bit of embarrassment on your part with a puddle on the floor beneath your legs. Just a bit of fun for me and trust you take it in this lighthearted banter.
More Personal Pages (2)
Written Jul 22, 2011
PLEASE SIGN MY GUEST MAP..... I THANK YOU
Written Feb 14, 2011
Virtual Tourist presents the 2010 Barney Awards
Top Travel Pages
Share your travels with the world!Join Now!
Badges & Stats
- 657 Reviews
- 2,344 Photos
- 12 Countries
- 94 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (106)
- updated a San Simeon Travelogue "SEALS. BIG ELEPHANT SEALS"
- Posted in Travel Honolulu Forum "Re: clear international flight..."
- Commented on kellinwood's profile page
- travelgourmet and chattygirl7491 are now friends.
updated their Profile Page "Carpe Diem - Complexo Nox"
- Wrote a Review CLOSED AND TORN DOWN JANUARY, 2014 about International Market Place in Honolulu Shopping
- Uploaded a Photo to "Carpe Diem - Complexo Nox"
- Uploaded a Video to Westlake Village
- Commented on the New Orleans Things to Do travel guide
PhotosSee All Photos (2344)
VideosSee All Videos (37)
Top 10 Pages
- Westlake Village Intro, 30 reviews, 198 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Solvang Intro, 29 reviews, 148 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Napa Intro, 29 reviews, 139 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Avalon Intro, 29 reviews, 110 photos, 2 travelogues
- San Diego Intro, 26 reviews, 99 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Malibu Intro, 14 reviews, 90 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Carmel-by-the-Sea Intro, 20 reviews, 71 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Luis Obispo Intro, 15 reviews, 75 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tehachapi Intro, 15 reviews, 74 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Temecula Intro, 17 reviews, 66 photos, 2 travelogues