"Searching for Cape Charles Lighthouse" Fishermans Island National Wildlife Refuge Travelogue by grandmaR
Fishermans Island National Wildlife Refuge Travel Guide: 6 reviews and 28 photos
We missed seeing the gas that was $2.99 (or else they upped the price since last night), so we stopped when we saw some that was $3.059. The car is getting 34+mpg. We have seen two Roses department stores over here, and several Walmarts that are painted cream color and not grey. We also saw a Peebles department store - we used to have one of them where we live.
I had put the GPS location for the Cape Charles Lighthouse on Smith Island into the GPS. That took us into the Eastern Shore of Virginia Wildlife Refuge.
The GPS took us to the Wise Boat Ramp and then told us to start off road navigation. We looked but couldn't see the lighthouse.
So I went back to the Refuge administration building. The man there said that there was a tree covered island in the way of seeing the lighthouse from the refuge. He said the only place you could see it from land was the northbound lane of the Bridge Tunnel.
There were men all over the Refuge wearing orange vests with poles with a little white disk in top. The man I talked to said the guys with the disk at the top of the poles were surveying the roads - they use GPS for that now.
And there was a stuffed snow goose on the top of a bookcase so I took a photo of it.
He showed me on a map where the lighthouse was. There was a historic cemetery on the map, so we drove to the parking area and walked down to it. First we passed a WWII bunker
..and then we got to the cemetery. We took photos of the markers
.. and then Bob climbed to the top of the bunker. He got a (better) picture of a vulture in the top of a tree, but he said you really couldn't see much. We didn't go as far as the marsh overlook.
grandmaR's Related Pages
Fishermans Island National Wildlife Refuge Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Fort Custis, a Cemetery and a Lighthouse"
- Create a Fishermans Island National Wildlife Refuge Travel Page
- Things to Do in Fishermans Island National Wildlife Refuge
- Warnings and Dangers in Fishermans Island National Wildlife Refuge
- See All...
Explore the World
- Hayman Island Hotels
- Passignano sul Trasimeno
- Jasper Lake Hotels
- Gaislacher See Hotels
- Rock Hill
- Castellana Grotte
- Szentendre Hotels
- Kampong Beribi Hotels
- Otocic Osljak Hotels
- Departamento de Antioquia
- Bonita Springs
Badges & Stats in Fishermans Island National Wildlife Refuge
- 6 Reviews
- 28 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (179)
Have you been to Fishermans Island National Wildlife Refuge?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Fishermans Island National Wildlife Refuge
- Posted in Travel Key West Forum "Re: water fun"
- updated a Fishermans Island National Wildlife Refuge Travel Page "Fort Custis, a Cemetery and a Lighthouse"
- Wrote a Review Ramp and Boating Restrictions in Fishermans Island National Wildlife Refuge Warnings and Dangers
- Uploaded a Photo to "Searching for Cape Charles Lighthouse"
Photos in Fishermans Island National Wildlife RefugeSee All Photos (28)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 166 reviews, 724 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Key West Intro, 154 reviews, 560 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Orleans Intro, 177 reviews, 401 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Baltimore Intro, 74 reviews, 316 photos, 9 travelogues
- London Intro, 77 reviews, 301 photos, 6 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 59 reviews, 297 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marathon Intro, 93 reviews, 240 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bermuda Intro, 50 reviews, 280 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Miami Intro, 56 reviews, 253 photos, 7 travelogues
- Leonardtown Intro, 46 reviews, 254 photos, 8 travelogues