"50 Years Later" Top 5 Page for this destination Norfolk Travelogue by grandmaR
Norfolk Travel Guide: 125 reviews and 507 photos
After we paid the toll, I could see the lighthouse far in the distance. I took some pictures out the back driver's side window, but they aren't terrific photos.
There are two tunnels to the bridge tunnel. The first one is the Chesapeake Channel Tunnel and the second one is called the Thimble Shoals tunnel. Apparently they have transponders of some type in the tunnels because the GPS did not lose track of us and knew how fast we were going.
Bob asked me if I wanted to eat lunch at the restaurant on Sea Gull Island right at the end of the Thimble Shoals tunnel. I thought we might be able to see Thimble Shoals light, but the restaurant is on the other side. A big 18 wheeler was tailgating us through the tunnel, and it is a very sharp turn off the road to get to the restaurant and I wasn't sure Bob was going to make it.
We ate by the window and we both had clam chowder (the traditional kind and not the Core Sound kind) and a BBQ sandwich
We watched some of those Navy vehicles that are powered by a big fan in the back zipping around - I saw a man try to take a photo of them with his lens cap on. It didn't work
We drove along Little Creek to our old house on Nathan Avenue. They have removed all the azalea bushes and replaced them with grass. They took out the big evergreen Xmas tree that was in the front yard They have replaced the cream shingles with aluminum siding. They removed the metal awning that shaded the picture window and the house looks naked without it.
They even have aluminum siding on the car port supports. They've replaced the chain link fence with a big board fence.
When I looked through a chink in the fence, I saw a pool in the back yard and also several of what look like storage sheds and another building which could be a garage. I verified this with Google maps.
But they still have the same steps and cheesy iron railing.
They have made the driveway a full double driveway instead of just two concrete strips and they've replaced the windows.
There was a little dog inside that I think was a Llassa who barked at me, and the big truck in the driveway had a vanity plate "Dogy Mom"
More Travelogues (5)
- See All Norfolk Australian
- See All Living in Norfolk
- See All Right Next to Quality Suites
- See All Squyres Marine Services (Water Taxi)
- See All Dance Club
grandmaR's Related Pages
Norfolk Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- ""Norfolk by the Sea""
- "Hampton Roads & Norfolk - Major Port and Navy Town"
- "Tidewater Region, Virginia"
- "Norfolk: Home of the Atlantic Fleet"
- "Norfolk, VA"
- "Norfolk, Virginia"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Norfolk
- Hotels in Norfolk
- Transportation in Norfolk
- Nightlife in Norfolk
- Restaurants in Norfolk
- Shopping in Norfolk
- Warnings and Dangers in Norfolk
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Norfolk
- 22 Reviews
- 122 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (542)
Have you been to Norfolk?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Norfolk
Photos in NorfolkSee All Photos (122)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 166 reviews, 733 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Key West Intro, 174 reviews, 663 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Orleans Intro, 177 reviews, 401 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Baltimore Intro, 77 reviews, 379 photos, 13 travelogues
- London Intro, 78 reviews, 305 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bermuda Intro, 56 reviews, 306 photos, 9 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 59 reviews, 298 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marathon Intro, 93 reviews, 252 photos, 6 travelogues
- Leonardtown Intro, 49 reviews, 269 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Miami Intro, 57 reviews, 258 photos, 7 travelogues