"How was it possible that we could grow up ?" Personal Page by Trekki
Haha, this is .... a tribute to all of the poor kids who have to grow up surrounded by electric gadgets, central heating, meticulously planned holidays and who torture parents and grandparents every Christmas for more and more toys :-)
How on earth did we manage to grow up properly? Did we miss anything?
Central heating? Haha, no. When we wanted to heat our rooms, our parents had to order coal first. The coal was dumped off in front of the house and our dads or granddads had to shovel the coal into a room in the basement first. Sometimes kids helped (without screaming). I had especially fun helping my dad because it involved one of my most favourite pasttimes: to get dirty, haha. Then, anytime any of the older ones went downstairs into the basement, he or she had to pick up the coal bin and carry coal up to the rooms. Not every room had a coal burning stove, only bathroom and living room. Bedroom? No, we had warm blankets.
Bathtub? Running hot and cold water? Erm... not really. We had a zinc tub which was filled with hot water from the stove. Babies had small versions of said tub. Sometimes babies weren't at all happy with the water temperature, lol...
Toilets? Flushes? No, we had these gorgeous chamber pots and had to sit there until... well.... Thanks to my dad who scanned the old photos I am happy to present one of these magic moments to the depts of www forever (maybe forever) :-)
Running hot and cold water and baby size sinks? No way! There was a chair we had to climb and then this cold water to brush teeth and wash faces. Eeeks, cold! But we survived - otherwise there wouldn't be any Trekki travelling and wirting pages, haha :-)
Loads of toys? I was happy to have had grandparents and my dad who spoiled me like mad, but not with toys and things but with love. I found funny things though anywhere in the house to play with, even if I had to steal the pot where later on potatoes had to be washed :-) Or was it my chamber pot?
Meticulously planned holidays? Far away lands? Planes?? We loaded the car of my granddad with us and went to the garden of friends where we had fun playing with things and hopped into water buckets to play with :-)
More Personal Pages (23)
Top Travel Pages
Share your travels with the world!Join Now!
Badges & Stats
- 2,509 Reviews
- 10,803 Photos
- 15 Countries
- 154 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (152)
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Who owns Europe?"
- Commented on one of starship's Dublin travel pages
- updated a Speyer Travel Page "Speyer – the pearl of Palatinate and Europe"
updated their Profile Page "Paths are being created by taking them"
- Commented on the Venice travel guide
- Wrote a Review Symbols of the city's naval power about Arsenale in Venice Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Symbols of the city's naval power"
- Trekki and aysell8680 are now friends.
- Uploaded a Video to Steingaden
VideosSee All Videos (39)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Venice Intro, 119 reviews, 464 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marburg an der Lahn Intro, 96 reviews, 434 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Italy Intro, 108 reviews, 402 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gubbio Intro, 80 reviews, 404 photos, 15 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Land Rheinland-Pfalz Intro, 82 reviews, 321 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Speyer Intro, 59 reviews, 286 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Umbria Intro, 60 reviews, 264 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Darmstadt Intro, 63 reviews, 234 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Germany Intro, 85 reviews, 210 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bologna Intro, 48 reviews, 222 photos, 9 travelogues