"How was it possible that we could grow up ?" Personal Page by Trekki

Generation Fifties and Sixties of last Millennium

Haha, this is .... a tribute to all of the poor kids who have to grow up surrounded by electric gadgets, central heating, meticulously planned holidays and who torture parents and grandparents every Christmas for more and more toys :-)

How on earth did we manage to grow up properly? Did we miss anything?

Central heating? Haha, no. When we wanted to heat our rooms, our parents had to order coal first. The coal was dumped off in front of the house and our dads or granddads had to shovel the coal into a room in the basement first. Sometimes kids helped (without screaming). I had especially fun helping my dad because it involved one of my most favourite pasttimes: to get dirty, haha. Then, anytime any of the older ones went downstairs into the basement, he or she had to pick up the coal bin and carry coal up to the rooms. Not every room had a coal burning stove, only bathroom and living room. Bedroom? No, we had warm blankets.

Bathtub? Running hot and cold water? Erm... not really. We had a zinc tub which was filled with hot water from the stove. Babies had small versions of said tub. Sometimes babies weren't at all happy with the water temperature, lol...

Toilets? Flushes? No, we had these gorgeous chamber pots and had to sit there until... well.... Thanks to my dad who scanned the old photos I am happy to present one of these magic moments to the depts of www forever (maybe forever) :-)

Running hot and cold water and baby size sinks? No way! There was a chair we had to climb and then this cold water to brush teeth and wash faces. Eeeks, cold! But we survived - otherwise there wouldn't be any Trekki travelling and wirting pages, haha :-)

Loads of toys? I was happy to have had grandparents and my dad who spoiled me like mad, but not with toys and things but with love. I found funny things though anywhere in the house to play with, even if I had to steal the pot where later on potatoes had to be washed :-) Or was it my chamber pot?

Meticulously planned holidays? Far away lands? Planes?? We loaded the car of my granddad with us and went to the garden of friends where we had fun playing with things and hopped into water buckets to play with :-)

And last but not least we had fun in doing gardening, already at very young ages :-) I even had my own watering can :-)

• Page Updated Feb 27, 2011

• easterntrekker's Profile Photo
    Feb 24, 2014 at 8:49 AM

Love these pictures..I also grew up with coal to keep us warm...ahh those were the days!

Feb 24, 2014 at 10:06 AM

Haha, indeed, Anita - those were the days!!!

• kenHuocj's Profile Photo
    Jan 3, 2014 at 6:51 AM

Great reminders of my childhood days, the radio with all the crackles, my intro to the world of gadgetry was my Transistor radio my Nana bought in Singapore, was it an Emerson or ???

Jan 3, 2014 at 10:33 AM

Haha, yes, our childhood time of the century was a fantastic one :-)) We even didn't have TV until I was ... 8 or so, and then only because dad wanted to watch a football campionship :-)

• Treshi's Profile Photo
    Oct 14, 2013 at 10:34 PM

Beautiful baby pictures Ingrid, looking very cute!!

Oct 14, 2013 at 11:08 PM

Thanks Treshi :-)) It was fun to set up this album :-)

• angiebabe's Profile Photo
    Oct 4, 2013 at 8:11 PM

that's great Ingrid! I can relate to so much of this! we never had a phone. I never even bought myself a phone myself until I got to London in 2000 lol! and never bought my own computer until 2005 or 6. We only had one coal range which was for cooking and heating and no heating in any other room than the kitchen and sure NZ no where gets as cold as Germany but it does still get pretty cold in winter where I grew up (no electric stove til I was about 15). When the hot water cylinder broke down my dad didn't get it fixed for over a year. when I flew off to Sydney when I was 21 that was fairly radical - thankfully many more kiwis and aussies travel these days and its pretty much normal now!

• starship's Profile Photo
    Oct 4, 2013 at 1:14 PM

Love this page! Everything was so different and we had less, but we had so much fun with so little! Climbing trees, building forts, and playing hide & seek was a favorite past time. I used to play "grocery store" with empty cereal boxes and egg cartons, empty milk bottles/cartons, etc. When you received a nice present or got to go somewhere, it was special and you really appreciated it.

• ElenaKKKK's Profile Photo
    Sep 22, 2012 at 10:49 AM

Cute girl and I want the Teddy bear like yours)))))))

Sep 22, 2012 at 1:03 PM

Ohhhh, I'm afraid, he is already in Teddy bear heaven. My dad has done some house cleaning... sadly, so much of my childhood toys and things gone....

Share your travels with the world!

Join Now!

Trekki

“Don't spend your life playing the role that others have chosen for you ;-)”

Real Name