"Stories in Marble" Top 5 Page for this destination Ostia Antica Travelogue by von.otter
Ostia Antica Travel Guide: 81 reviews and 354 photos
Throughout the park at Ostia Antica marble fragments from buildings grand and glorious tell stories of Ancient Rome.
A soldier?s helmet and a fan-like design seem to have no connection in the minds of modern visitors.
A headless, armless female figure stands next to a column draped with a cloth. Could that be her garment? Had she been bathing? They mystery will never be solved.
Angels, cupids, of the ancient world are affectionate and appear to be about to kiss!
This and the following two photos show theatrical masks.
This theatrical mask demonstrates what a vibrant theatre life Ostia Antica had.
All three of these masks are displayed on the stage of the amphitheater.
The story of Romulus and Remus is told here in stone. The twins suckle at the teet of the She-Wolf who saved them from the river.
Cupids guide the horses of a chariot. This is quite an elaborately carved fragment, with vegetal and ribbon detailing.
More Travelogues (1)
von.otter's Related Pages
Ostia Antica Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Let's move to Ostia - Ostia ANTICA !!"
- "Walking into the past........"
- "Better than Pompeii?"
- "HALF DAY ON OSTIA ANTICA"
- "Landscape + Ruins : A Beautiful Combination"
- "Antic Rome's port"
- "Ostia Antica"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Ostia Antica
- Hotels in Ostia Antica
- Transportation in Ostia Antica
- Restaurants in Ostia Antica
- Shopping in Ostia Antica
- Warnings and Dangers in Ostia Antica
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Ostia Antica
- 6 Reviews
- 41 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (17)
Have you been to Ostia Antica?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ostia Antica
Photos in Ostia AnticaSee All Photos (41)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rome Intro, 161 reviews, 722 photos, 5 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 94 reviews, 495 photos, 6 travelogues
- Brussels Intro, 83 reviews, 417 photos
- Amsterdam Intro, 80 reviews, 395 photos
- Bologna Intro, 65 reviews, 311 photos
- Paris Intro, 50 reviews, 233 photos
- Gent Intro, 43 reviews, 221 photos, 1 travelogue
- Ferrara Intro, 41 reviews, 214 photos, 2 travelogues
- Ravenna Intro, 43 reviews, 210 photos
- Parma Intro, 40 reviews, 203 photos