"Seal Watching" Kaikoura Travelogue by Kimi_the_Bear
Kaikoura Travel Guide: 210 reviews and 699 photos
While it is impossible to watch whales from the shore, you might well spot dolphins from a beach or the side of the road, or even from your hotel/motel room. But there is no need at all to go on a boat tour to watch seals - unless you want to swim with seals.
Well, I would not dare doing this. Not because the seals have quite bad breath but because I have seen their huge mouths and their teeth. The thought of getting in between their jaws is too upsetting for me. So I keep a safety distance - and stay on land.
I have photos of me up close to seals - just trying to locate them...
Hopefully I can post them here soon!
A fantastic place to watch seals and their pups is Ohau Point. This is about 25 kilometres north of Kaikoura. You can watch the colony from a lookout above the shore, so you have a great view without disturbing the seals and their young.
Kimi_the_Bear's Related Pages
Kaikoura Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A Whale of a Time?"
- "More than Whales"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Kaikoura
- Hotels in Kaikoura
- Transportation in Kaikoura
- Restaurants in Kaikoura
- Shopping in Kaikoura
- Warnings and Dangers in Kaikoura
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Kaikoura
- 0 Reviews
- 65 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (1)
Have you been to Kaikoura?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kaikoura
Photos in KaikouraSee All Photos (65)
Top 10 Pages
- Southland 125 photos, 17 travelogues
- Ulm Intro, 109 photos, 15 travelogues
- Christchurch Intro, 86 photos, 14 travelogues
- Gingen an der Fils Intro, 85 photos, 12 travelogues
- French Polynesia Intro, 79 photos, 10 travelogues
- Alsace Intro, 1 review, 78 photos, 10 travelogues
- Lyttelton Intro, 76 photos, 10 travelogues
- Dunedin Intro, 75 photos, 10 travelogues
- New Zealand Intro, 74 photos, 10 travelogues
- Wellington Intro, 70 photos, 10 travelogues