"The crusader town" Top 5 Page for this destination Akko Travelogue by gubbi1
Akko Travel Guide: 146 reviews and 478 photos
As one of the oldest continuesly inhabited towns in Israel Akko has seen many cultural periodes. Canaanites, Romans, Arabs, Crusaders, Ottomans, British and now a mixture of Arabs and Jews. This caused that nowadays traces of all these periodes can be found throughout the city, what makes it a very special place as the town still lives.
During the changes of the periodes, better said each time the city was conquered, the next ruler build on top of the old town causing layers to develope. So the crusader town is now about 15 meter below the current town and has been excavated widely. The visit to the citadel will lead you down inside the crusader town of Acre. From architectural point of view this is a really impressive visit. Fascinating is a long narrow tunnel (not Templar tunnel) which leads you from one part to the next. Just missed some items exhibited in the empty halls.
One of the many impressive halls you will see when visiting the citadel. You will get lots of information from an audio guide that is distributed when receiving the ticket.
One of the very few items to look at. It has been a grave plate of the hospitaler.
Hall with massive columns.
The column was brought here from Caesarea Maritima, the port town build by Herodes and another very interesting site!
This is the crusader toilet. I am sure it was not a place for sensitive noses...
Inside the court yard of the citadel. After the rule of the crusaders this place was filled up with earth and stones to the top. Much work for the archeologists to empty it again.
This is the narrow walk way. Mind your head!
gubbi1's Related Pages
Akko Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Acco / Akko / Acre"
- "Akko (Acre)"
- "Acre - A blend of history"
- "Old Acco (Acre) (Akko)"
- "El Jazzar Mosque"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Akko
- Hotels in Akko
- Transportation in Akko
- Restaurants in Akko
- Shopping in Akko
- Warnings and Dangers in Akko
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Akko
- 11 Reviews
- 122 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (19)
Have you been to Akko?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Akko
Photos in AkkoSee All Photos (122)
Top 10 Pages
- Vienna Intro, 40 reviews, 231 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oulu Intro, 55 reviews, 134 photos, 7 travelogues
- Lillehammer Intro, 8 reviews, 164 photos, 17 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nazareth Intro, 16 reviews, 124 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Akko Intro, 11 reviews, 122 photos, 10 travelogues
- Évora Intro, 13 reviews, 116 photos, 9 travelogues
- Røros Intro, 10 reviews, 107 photos, 9 travelogues
- Bet Guvrin Intro, 18 reviews, 89 photos
- Bet She`arim Intro, 11 reviews, 90 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tomar Intro, 12 reviews, 86 photos, 5 travelogues
Latest Akko hotel reviews
- Nes Ammim Kibbutz Hotel
- 7 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 1, 2013