"Hike to Peak Magaro" Top 5 Page for this destination Ohrid Travelogue by Pijlmans
Ohrid Travel Guide: 898 reviews and 2,979 photos
UPDATE: The description below is from 2010. We did this hike again in 2014 and made a GPS track, see GPS hike to Magaro Peak.
This hike begins close to the start of the Hike to Lako Signoj summit.
To get there, enter Galicica National Park to the left just after Trpejca on the road from Ohrid to Saint Naum and drive all the way up the mountain.
About 5 km uphill, you can see a sign for the Church of St Spas, which is about 40 minutes walking.
You will pass a picnic place, where you can have a stop and walk to the Koritski Rid Panorama Point. Good view, but it will get only better the higher you go.
On the highest point of the road, there is the stopping place at the Chapel of St George, with excellent view of Lake Ohrid.
Drive a bit further until you see the sign shown on the picture. The hike to Magaro Peak starts here.
According to the information panel, the hike is a round trip, the starting point is at 1600 m and the highest point is 2254 m. Total length is 10.5 km and it takes you about 4.5 hours. So far so good.
The first part is pretty well marked with red/white dots and arrows, and we could walk quite straightforward all the way up to peak Magaro. However, when we wanted to continue the rest of the circle from the summit, we could not find the trail because the marking was lacking.
So we went back the same way we came, and tried to approach the peak again from where the road splits (see the map on the picture), in order to complete the walk from the other direction.
We thought we found the right trail this time, but after quite some walking I noticed on my altimeter that we were higher than the Magaro peak! Since we were approximately at one line with the island Golem Grad in Lake Prespa, I figured we had crossed the border and were in Albania! Something you could go to jail for a couple of years ago, but things are more relaxed nowadays!
It is a shame that this trail was not better marked. We heard that efforts are being made to improve the markings of the trails in Galicica National Park in 2010, so maybe this one will also be better marked next time.
I'll describe here how to get to the Magaro peak. If the marking is still missing at the peak, just go back the way you came. This mountain is very close to the road, and you almost cannot get lost.
From the parking, just follow the road into the forest. You'll pass a sign saying that you cannot enter the border zone without permission, but that is old news. Next you pass the ruins of an old red cross building.
You exit the forest here on the picture.
Keep on walking uphill and follow the marking. About 10-15 minutes after you exit the forest, the marking splits (hardly noticeable): an arrow to the right and one straight-on.
At this point, we went to the right, uphill towards this huge empty sign. If you look well, you can also see this sign on the upper right hill on the opening picture.
This is the hill you have to climb. The sign is on top.
A nice little surprise for me were the five wild goats who came jumping off the rocks here, a really beautiful sight!
After the sign, keep going counter-clockwise uphill, keep the cliffs on your left hand.
There's some good views of the Lako Signoj Summit on the other side of the road where you parked the car.
At several places you can see Lake Ohrid and Lake Prespa from the same position.
You'll pass some trenches, maybe from the first world war?
And finally, you'll reach the top at 2254 meters!
From here you can try to finish the circle, or go back the same way you came...
See here for more pictures.
A GPS version of a similar hike can be found here: http://www.gpsies.com/map.do?fileId=ceraqcqanwcnrdno.
- Toll for the road through Galicica...
- See All Excavation
- See All Divine view
- See All Mind your step
- See All Roundtrip from Velestovo through...
Pijlmans' Related Pages
Ohrid Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Ohridskoto Ezero"
- "Ohrid - City of centuries"
- "OHRID - MACEDONIA'S RIVIERA"
- "Ohrid – Treasury of Religious Art"
- "Sveti Jovan Kaneo - "Before the Rain""
- "SECOND OFFICIAL VT DINNER IN OHRID"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Ohrid
- Hotels in Ohrid
- Transportation in Ohrid
- Nightlife in Ohrid
- Restaurants in Ohrid
- Shopping in Ohrid
- Warnings and Dangers in Ohrid
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Ohrid
- 133 Reviews
- 571 Photos
- 52 Forum posts
- 9 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (85)
Have you been to Ohrid?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ohrid
- Posted in Travel Amsterdam Forum "Re: Transportation from Amsterdam..."
- Commented on one of Pijlmans's Ohrid tips
- Wrote a Review Toll for the road through Galicica National Park in Ohrid Warnings and Dangers
- Uploaded a Photo to "Toll for the road through Galicica National Park"
- updated a Ohrid Travelogue "Elshani-Konjsko hike in Galicica NP part 2/2"
- Uploaded a Video to Ohrid
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ohrid Intro, 133 reviews, 571 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Skopje Intro, 109 reviews, 388 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination FYR of Macedonia Intro, 110 reviews, 366 photos, 3 travelogues
- Stip Intro, 44 reviews, 243 photos, 9 travelogues
- Strumica Intro, 36 reviews, 188 photos, 2 travelogues
- Kratovo Intro, 29 reviews, 181 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zutphen Intro, 43 reviews, 132 photos
- Stobi Intro, 21 reviews, 143 photos, 8 travelogues
- Amsterdam Intro, 48 reviews, 110 photos
- Borger Intro, 34 reviews, 119 photos