"A Taste of Cork- 17th-19th November 2008" Personal Page by suvanki
Ekaterinburg - Katherine -(and Dennis, her husband) -Cork - Ireland - Who organised A Taste of Cork 17th-19th November 2008
Benazer -Az - London - England
dila - Diana - Amsterdam - Netherlands
Nomad7890 - Martha - Lake Mary - USA
Sachara - Ali - Emmen - Netherlands
Songlines - Agnes- Skibbereen - Ireland
tjsomerset - Ted - Ireland
Tripack - Patrick - Valais - Switzerland
Also, VT FLAG, DAO ,Gillybob and Royslaven , who I'd met in Halifax, the previous month.
I'm afraid that I missed meeting those who could just be there for Friday night or Saturday daytime
This was my second VT meet, I hadn't planned to attend, but as I had a flight booked to Dublin for that weekend, I decided to alter my plans, and fly onto Cork. Sadly, I had to miss out on Friday nights Greyhound racing and the traditional pub with live music, and Saturdays Day Out to the coast, which sounded very interesting.
My flight got me there, just in time to join the others for a lovely meal at the Market Lane Restaurant. Time to catch up with Gilly, DAO and John, and meet some new friends.
The annual Cork Film Festival was being held during our meet, so there was quite a lively buzz here. We managed to get served at the busy bar. Beamish or Murphys are the local 'Black Stuff' - not Guinness, which comes from Dublin - or 'The City'
This was a good place to shelter from the rain......
Sunday morning, Gilly, Martha and myself, caught the bus to Blarney, to see the Village and its castle, where we kissed the famous Blarney Stone...
a 'soft rain' was becoming increasingly heavier
....... and explored the castle grounds and magical gardens, before Martha had to leave us, to catch the bus back to Cork, for her flight back home
where we were joined by DAO for lunch.
This was a friendly pub, which served traditional Irish fayre, such as boiled bacon with colcannon, mashed potato and parsley sauce-delicious!
The Hurling Cup Final was being held in Dublin, and Blarney were playing....and they won! so as you can imagine, those who hadn't got tickets, were gathered in the pub. Munster were also playing rugby, which was televised, so it was a good day for the sporting fans here!
DAO went to explore the castle, Gilly and I explored Blarney, missed the bus, so headed back to the pub, to wait for the next one!
Gilly had to catch her flight back home, so I went to find the others - Ali, Agnes, Patrick and John, and we went in search of a suitable place for our evening meal.
This restaurant had a good atmosphere, and great food.
It was then time to say our Good-byes, before heading back to my hostel. Patrick was heading in the same direction, so we called into a pub for a night cap of Guinness
I had another day to see Cork, and Katherine had kindly offered to show me around next morning
Katherine picked me up from near my hostel, and drove us to Shandon, an area of Cork, that has quite an arty feel. Time to ring the bells in St Agnes church!, before zooming over to the University, (which is modelled on one of Oxfords old colleges), then sadly it was time to head for the airport, and my flight home via Dublin.
Top Travel Pages
Share your travels with the world!Join Now!
Badges & Stats
- 2,259 Reviews
- 8,568 Photos
- 19 Countries
- 143 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (71)
- Commented on tere1's profile page
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Ghosts"
- Wrote a Review Diner/Take Away in Sheffield Restaurants
- Uploaded a Photo to "One time traditional Irish pub"
- updated a Sheffield Travel Page "Sheffield, It's not so grim Ooop North!"
updated their Profile Page "Getting itchy feet........"
- suvanki and Regina1965 are now friends.
- Commented on the Taddington travel guide
- Uploaded a Video to Vilnius
PhotosSee All Photos (8568)
VideosSee All Videos (126)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Venice Intro, 188 reviews, 621 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bergamo Intro, 102 reviews, 594 photos, 22 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sheffield Intro, 155 reviews, 517 photos, 11 travelogues
- Manchester Intro, 38 reviews, 371 photos, 27 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marrakesh Intro, 102 reviews, 245 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Halifax Intro, 30 reviews, 306 photos, 21 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Iran Intro, 60 reviews, 194 photos
- Dublin Intro, 47 reviews, 201 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Torremolinos Intro, 40 reviews, 205 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Granada Intro, 68 reviews, 168 photos
- Paris Hotels
- 22145 Reviews - 53809 Photos
- Orlando Hotels
- 3078 Reviews - 5774 Photos
- New York City Hotels
- 15551 Reviews - 30943 Photos
- London Hotels
- 23056 Reviews - 47246 Photos
- Rome Hotels
- 11939 Reviews - 26463 Photos
- Cancún Hotels
- 1927 Reviews - 3713 Photos
- Myrtle Beach Hotels
- 319 Reviews - 425 Photos
- Las Vegas Hotels
- 8353 Reviews - 17025 Photos
- Manila Hotels
- 1905 Reviews - 4447 Photos
- Baguio Hotels
- 325 Reviews - 885 Photos
- Toronto Hotels
- 4263 Reviews - 8768 Photos
- Melbourne Hotels
- 3341 Reviews - 7498 Photos
- Goa Hotels
- 2036 Reviews - 3787 Photos
- Istanbul Hotels
- 7623 Reviews - 19412 Photos
- Panama City Beach Hotels
- 193 Reviews - 288 Photos