"Phnom Santuk Staircase" Khett Kampong Thum Travelogue by AlbuqRay
Khett Kampong Thum Travel Guide: 29 reviews and 188 photos
To get to the top from here you must climb 809 steps. I did not make the climb but they say that at the 230th step, there is access to the rock valley and a well. At the 455th step, there is a resting hall with a Buddhist statue on the left. Also, Chan Dare (where you drop a coin into a slot in the rocks to find out your fortune) is not quite to the top of the staircase. It is marked by blue painted arrows. See also a videoclip taken at the base of the staircase.
We drove to near the top instead of walking all the way up from here.
Approaching the staircase from the parking area after driving to the top.
The small cement human figures that line the staircase look relatively modern. This is looking down from about step 695.
These are the steps that are left after you drive to the parking area near the top of the mountain.
When you get to the top of the staircase, you enter an active vihara (Buddhist monastery), which is called Wat Kiri Chom Chong Phnom San Tuk. At one time there were 18 monks, 16 nuns, two wise men and the head of the pagoda named Sok Nang, who was a key figure in getting the vihara built.
So is it 810 instead? The level in the upper left corner of the picture is the floor of the temple area.
This picture was taken from the gate into the Phnom Santuk temple area.
More Travelogues (7)
AlbuqRay's Related Pages
Khett Kampong Thum Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Interesting Places in Kampong Thom Province"
- "On the midpoint between Phnom Penh and Siem Reap"
- "Just a Little out of the way for tourists"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Khett Kampong Thum
- Hotels in Khett Kampong Thum
- Restaurants in Khett Kampong Thum
- Shopping in Khett Kampong Thum
- Warnings and Dangers in Khett Kampong Thum
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Khett Kampong Thum
- 25 Reviews
- 174 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (51)
Have you been to Khett Kampong Thum?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Khett Kampong Thum
- Posted in Travel Uluru National Park (Ayers Rock) Forum "Re: Guided Tour or self-guided tour"
- updated a Khett Kampong Thum Travelogue "Phnom Santuk Staircase"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Phnom Santuk Staircase"
- Wrote a Review Kuhanokor Wat and School in Khett Kampong Thum Off The Beaten Path
- Uploaded a Video to Khett Kampong Thum
Photos in Khett Kampong ThumSee All Photos (174)
Videos in Khett Kampong ThumSee All Videos (9)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Alice Springs Intro, 111 reviews, 574 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Northern Territory Intro, 64 reviews, 334 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Sarawak Intro, 57 reviews, 298 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Darwin Intro, 50 reviews, 286 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Albuquerque Intro, 72 reviews, 236 photos, 5 travelogues
- Macdonnell Ranges Intro, 41 reviews, 260 photos, 10 travelogues
- Uluru National Park (Ayers Rock) Intro, 45 reviews, 219 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gettysburg Intro, 44 reviews, 213 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Mexico Intro, 50 reviews, 199 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mataranka Intro, 27 reviews, 215 photos, 11 travelogues