"Seoul 2009" Seoul Travelogue by akikonomu

Seoul Travel Guide: 3,137 reviews and 8,085 photos

Shopping spree and quick getaway

Took advantage of good airfare deals and exchange rate to have a quick getaway to Seoul. After about 3 years of absence, Seoul appears much different.

For one, everything seems more spruced up, more beautified and more refined. Has the nation's love for plastic surgery been extended to its city facades as well? No offence meant, but what a stark change from before.

Then again, silly me, we are all moving towards being more developed - pardon nostalgic me who still thinks that sometimes things left in their original and old state still serves a purpose.

Winding our way through some backlanes does jolt me back into the past - where small, ordinary concrete houses lean against one another and serve as a reminder that there are still "real" people.

Away!! The glitzy city centre and fantasy-themed K-dramas that distorts reality.

Although shopping is interesting in Seoul, it does not appear to cater to bigger sized people - so it was mostly a case of window shopping and purchasing free-sized accessories like costume jewellery.

Still, it was nice to get away from the dreary workplace and enjoy some good food too. Seoulites retain their honesty and patience despite the changing landscape. Never had any problems at eating establishments or shops. That's why I enjoy revisiting these cities simply because I don't need to complicate myself worrying about being cheated.

• Page Written Jun 28, 2010

Comments

akikonomu

“I will travel 'til I can no more”

Badges & Stats in Seoul