"Ramayana ballet, episode 3" Top 5 Page for this destination Prambanan Travelogue by theo1006
Prambanan Travel Guide: 122 reviews and 421 photos
Rama Wijaya, crown prince of Ayodya, is set on invading Alengka, because its king Rahwana has abducted Rama's wife Shinta. However there is a problem: Alengka lies overseas, how does Rama's monkey army cross the sea?
The ballet opens with "fishes" dancing on one side and the monkeys on the other.
The sea is not giving in easily. Some crabs attack the monkeys, but are no match for them. Then Rama shoots his magic arrow at the sea, creating a dry pathway like Moses did in his time. The fishes don't like this at all and start begging and crying. But the monkeys push on bringing rocks to wall in the new road. The fishes give in and stand lining the road when the monkey army passes.
In Alengka king Rahwana has gathered his council, when Rama's emissary Hanggada arrives with the message: "Release Shinta or it is war".
Rahwana is so angry that he threatens to kill the messenger, but the king's brother Kumbokarno prevents this. This directs Rahwana's fury against his brother, who is banished from the court.
No pics of the squirmishes between Rama's monkeys and Rahwana's giants: too much movement. After an interlude of mourning it is the turn of the heroes to fight one on one. The blue monkey Hanila kills Rahwana's prime minister Prahasta.
Rahwana's army chief Indrajid is taken on by Leksmana (Rama's brother), and dies by an arrow from the latter. Hanuman strikes dead Rahwana's sister Sarpakenaka.
Kumbokarno, although disagreeing with his brother, has returned to defend his country. He is taken on by the monkeys, but he is too strong for them.
Therefore Leksmana once more steps in. At first he tries close attack with his keris (dagger), but then his aides hand him his bow. Thus, Kumbokarno who is Rahwana's brother, is struck down by an arrow from the bow of Rama's brother.
The battle is suspended. All mourn the death of the righteous hero Kumbokarno. His soul rises up and ascends the stairs to heaven.
In the next and last episode the battle is resumed and Rama faces his enemy Rahwana.
theo1006's Related Pages
Prambanan Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Prambanan: temples and more temples"
- "Hindu temple complex"
- "IMPREXXION: YOGYAKARTA-BOROBUDOR-PRAMBANAN"
- "Largest Hindu Temple complex in South East Asia"
- "Under Construction"
- "Indonesia´s largest Hindu temple."
- "Prambanan visit"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Prambanan
- Hotels in Prambanan
- Transportation in Prambanan
- Restaurants in Prambanan
- Shopping in Prambanan
- Warnings and Dangers in Prambanan
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Prambanan
- 34 Reviews
- 181 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (41)
Have you been to Prambanan?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Prambanan
- Posted in Travel Jepara Forum "Re: Jepara in 2 days"
- Commented on one of theo1006's Prambanan travel pages
- updated a Prambanan Travel Page "Prambanan: temples and more temples"
- Uploaded a Video to Prambanan
- Uploaded a Photo to "Deles Indah on Merapi volcano"
- Wrote a Review The Ramayana episodic ballet in Prambanan Things to Do
Photos in PrambananSee All Photos (181)
Videos in PrambananSee All Videos (3)
Top 10 Pages
- Salatiga Intro, 61 reviews, 317 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prambanan Intro, 34 reviews, 181 photos, 4 travelogues
- Blitar Intro, 22 reviews, 149 photos, 4 travelogues
- Soe Intro, 34 reviews, 136 photos, 2 travelogues
- Bima Intro, 23 reviews, 139 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kupang Intro, 32 reviews, 124 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yogyakarta Special Region Intro, 22 reviews, 131 photos, 3 travelogues
- Bali Intro, 22 reviews, 124 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination East Timor Intro, 30 reviews, 116 photos
- Costa Rica Intro, 25 reviews, 116 photos, 1 travelogue