"Beginning a Grandson Trip - 2010" Top 5 Page for this destination Frisco Travelogue by grandmaR

Frisco Travel Guide: 70 reviews and 236 photos

I packed off and on all Saturday. I haven't been able to find any of the lists that I made for other trips, which worries me because I am afraid I will forget something. I took the little red rolling bag (which was bulging, but in it I had another little cloth bag for the shorter trips, and a tote for use on excursions.

It was fairly heavy, but I did not weigh it. I also had the cloth computer bag which looks kind of like a briefcase. I took everything out of my wallet (like the safe deposit key) that I wouldn't need on the trip and put that and a change purse in a small black fanny pack which went into the computer bag. But it didn't stay in there very well and kept falling out. I printed out my boarding pass.

I am taking so many pills now and the flax seed oil and fish oil ones are so big that I can't fit them into my pill keeper anymore and Bob lent me two of his which cover the trip. I send a box off to Beth on Thursday with one of the pill keepers, my mask and snorkel, dive skin, inhaler, a small white hat, a power strip, and a couple of other things in it (13+ lbs). I find that the pill keepers rattle, and didn't want them rattling in the computer bag, so I packed the other one in the suitcase which I know I shouldn't do, but it worked out OK in this case.

Sunday morning, I ate two slices of bread, and set the big laptop up in the computer room for Bob to use. I am taking the little old laptop which I haven't used since 2007 because it is smaller and significantly lighter. I hope this doesn't come back to bite me because this morning it said Windows had a fatal exception and had to close.

Bob said to put everything in the trunk, so I did, including my coat with the liner zipped in for Yellowstone in June (although Dallas is to be over 100 today), a hat, cane, suitcase, and computer bag. The fanny pack fell out so I picked it up and took it and my cell phone and the boarding pass with me into the car. After we got underway, I phoned for the gate information. Boarding was to start at 12:45 - plane was to leave at 1:15 pm. Took all the small bills from the wallet and put them in my passport case (around my neck) for tips. I had a $10, a $5 and four $1s

Got to the airport about 10:15. Took everything out of the trunk. I was hoping to curb check the bag although I think it would work to be a carry-on. Curb check area was un-manned.

Met a skycap with a cart coming across the street and he asked me if I wanted a wheelchair so I said yes, and walked on across the street. When I went to get my credit card out, I realized that I did not have the fanny pack which had my wallet (drivers license and credit cards). Bob had already left. I took my phone out and tried to call him, but he had his cell phone OFF. The skycap came back with a wheelchair for me and we went inside and I tried to call again and left a callback number in case he didn't remember my cell number. I forgot that I had the address book with me.

I told the skycap that I had no credit cards with me, and gave him my passport and my boarding pass and he checked the bag for me. I asked him about the checked bag charge and he said they didn't charge me. I don't know why. I tipped him with the $5.00

The wheelchair lady dumped the water in my water bottle, took me through security, refilled my water bottle and then took me to the gate, and I gave her $4.00. The plane was a little late getting in and I saw on the screen that I couldn't buy food unless I had a credit card, and of course I didn't. So I walked down to Wendy's and got a wrap and a baked potato and got a $20 changed (I had money in my passport case).

Got back to my seat and found I had no eating utensil for the baked potato. The only thing I had that resembled something to eat with was a small round magnifying glass on a handle. So I used that. The plane wasn't all that late and boarding was only delayed a little. I got on with the first class and the rest of the wheelchair people (there were 7 of us).

It was a good flight, and we got to DFW a little ahead of schedule. The wheelchair boy had just graduated from high school. I called my daughter from the baggage claim and told her where I was and she sent my granddaughter in. She wasn't wearing her glasses so she walked all the way around the baggage area before she saw me, and just about that time my bag came and we got out to the car and put the stuff in. I tipped the wheelchair guy.

My computer crashed that evening and I started to defragment the hard drive and it was still doing it when I wanted to go to bed, so I left it running and woke up at 3:30 and it was done. I also took off all the photos from 2007 and 2008 and put them on a memory stick so I have more room on the computer.

I unpacked and rearranged the luggage so I could see what I have and I found I have two pair of maroon pants (one without pockets) instead of pants and a skirt. Oh well. At least one pair has pockets.

We played a game with the whole family in the evening after dinner. I can't
remember what it is called but you try to get people to guess a word by putting little cards on a board. I didn't do too well. My grandson reassured me with that at least I did better than his younger sister, and I said

"Oh great - not only am I not smarter than a 5th grader, but I'm just a
little smarter than a third grader." My granddaughter corrected me that she is now a fourth grader.

The guys are still working on the patio out back. I took some photos of the house. Monday, Bob sent the fanny pack by FedEx and it got here at 10:20 on Tuesday. All is well on that front. I downloaded the most up-to-date Firefox and that works better than the version that I had (2.0).

Yesterday (Tuesday) the computer gave me some more trouble, and the cameras started to malfunction also.

I played some kind of computer room decorating game with my granddaughters and (or actually the older one demonstrated the game to me) in the evening of the 6th.

Tried to do a cooking Wi game with with my granddaughter, but I am hopeless at it. I told her if I was mixing cookie dough I would use a mixer.

We went to my grandson's ball game at 1700 and it was REALLY hot. Bill and Phyllis (the other grandparents) came too - Bill has a scooter he uses. Phyllis gave her genealogical information to me and I'm going to see if I can find her grandfather's discharge papers from the Federal Army (Civil War) when I get to Salt Lake

Afterwards we went to the Double Dipper and had frozen custard. My son-in-law took our older granddaughter to get a slushee instead as she can't have the frozen custard because it has gluten in it. They had the misting fans running there.

My daughter printed out our boarding passes and put my grandson's frequent flyer number into the AA reservations.

We came home from the game and the computer crashed again. Could not download the photos off the camera or anything. So I decided maybe it was getting too hot, and shut it down. Then this morning I did a system restore, and re-downloaded Firefox and it seems to be OK now. We will see.

When I went to download the photos from the camera it refused as it say there was an unrecognized file type. After I deleted that, it worked OK. My grandson's camera is at the shop and he expects to have it back by the time we go on the Hawaii section.

The next morning I had breakfast with the kids - my daughter's breakfasts are as good as the cruise ship - a regular smorgasbord. Showered and finished packing. We had an early lunch, and off to the airport.

I forget to bring the binoculars, and also failed to realize that we could have printed out our boarding pass at home this morning. We were dropped off and they got me a chair and called a wheelchair for me. I sat in the chair and waited. The guy came and got the other lady sitting there and took her and then came back for me. I tipped him $4.00

When we cut into the security line, I told my grandson to get out his passport and it took him quite awhile because I think it was in his backpack and not accessible. And then the guy said he didn't need it - that he didn't need to see ID if they were under 18. So I was not asked for my documentation to have him as they didn't know his name.

Then he had to get his computer out and it took him some time to get
organized.

We were at the gate in good order and I said I would stay seated in the wheelchair (as opposed to getting out and sitting in a chair). There were some people flying standby and the plane was not full. My grandson got a hamburger and fries and a drink in the airport. Another lady wheeled me down the gangway and the flight attendant took my cane and coat. My grandson had a hard time lifting his wheeled back into the bin - I guess I should have done it for him.

The plane taxied all the way to the other side of the airport, crossing several freeways to get to the runway. There were a lot of planes lined up to take off but the pilot (a very chatty one) said that there was even more of a back-up going east because of the thundershowers which had just passed over us.

My grandson slept some in the plane. I had cranapple and a chocolate chip
cookie on the plane and took a few photos and.did the crossword.

Next: Salt Lake City

• Page Updated Jul 2, 2010

Comments

grandmaR

“"..an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered." G.K. Chesterton”

Badges & Stats in Frisco