"Ein Avdat national park" Top 5 Page for this destination Mizpe Ramon Travelogue by Patje
Mizpe Ramon Travel Guide: 66 reviews and 290 photos
Ein Avdat is a spectacular narrow canyon in the Negev, south of Sdeh Boker kibbutz. At the opening of the canyon the water of numerous springs descends into two deep pools in a series of waterfalls. The area belongs to Ein Avdat National park.
The Ein Avdat Canyon is part of Nahal Tzin - the largest wadi that begins in the Negev. The wadi bed of Nahal Tzin suddenly becomes active amidst and following torrential rainfall and drains into what once was the southern end of the Dead Sea (the sea slowly dries up on its southern end).
The Ein Avdat national park encompasses the canyon for all its length. There are two entrances - the northern one an the bottom of the canyon, and the southern one at its top, separated by a distance of a ten-minute drive. Lately the trail traversing the canyon was left open only for ascent, so the visitors can start their route from the lower entrance and climb up to the upper one if they have a car that will pick them up. If they must return to the lower entrance, they can turn back before the last short segment of the trail. Another possibility is to arrive to the upper entrance and to enjoy the magnificent panorama of the canyon without entering it.
To complete the whole trail, from the lower entrance to the upper entrance, hikers must climb iron rungs in the rock wall. An easier option is to walk along the streambed from the lower entrance to the En Ma‘arif pools at the foot of the waterfall, return along the same path, and drive to the upper parking lot.
The park sells a one-day ticket good for both the upper and lower entrances. Also available is a combination ticket for En Avdat National Park and Avdat National Park (site of the former Nabatean city).
Patje's Related Pages
Mizpe Ramon Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "En Avdat Canyon"
- "Nabatean Ruins, Canyons and Sand Storm in Avdat."
- "Avdat and Ein Avdat National Parks on constructio"
- "The Ramon Nature Reserve"
- "Mitzpe Ramon - city on the EDGE"
- "Mizpe Ramon and Ramon Crater"
- "Mizpe Ramon"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Mizpe Ramon
- Hotels in Mizpe Ramon
- Transportation in Mizpe Ramon
- Restaurants in Mizpe Ramon
- Warnings and Dangers in Mizpe Ramon
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Mizpe Ramon
- 5 Reviews
- 46 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
Have you been to Mizpe Ramon?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Mizpe Ramon
Photos in Mizpe RamonSee All Photos (46)
Top 10 Pages
- Trenta Intro, 12 reviews, 65 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mizpe Ramon Intro, 5 reviews, 46 photos, 4 travelogues
- Kortrijk Intro, 50 photos, 9 travelogues
- Solda Intro, 7 reviews, 35 photos, 5 travelogues
- Arnhem Intro, 1 review, 38 photos, 5 travelogues
- Solcava Intro, 7 reviews, 29 photos, 3 travelogues
- Gorjuse Intro, 32 photos, 5 travelogues
- Slovenia Intro, 10 reviews, 21 photos, 4 travelogues
- Stara Fuzina Intro, 1 review, 23 photos, 3 travelogues
- Austria Intro, 23 photos, 4 travelogues