"Sukau Rainforest Lodge" Sukau Travelogue by GrumpyDiver
Sukau Travel Guide: 94 reviews and 210 photos
It seemed like a good idea at the time. Out in the early morning, exploring near one of the ox-bow lakes that used to be part of the river. Mosquitos galore and leeches too!
I doused myself with lots of insect repellant (yes - DEET works!) plus leech socks and long pants to keep the little bloodsuckers away!
If you want to know what a leech looks like, look no further. That's one hanging onto a leaf around knee-high off the ground. Leech socks are worn inside the boots. They are a densely woven cotton that are tied tightly over the pants.
Yes, the migration path of the Borneo pigmy elephants ran right through the Sukau Rainforest Lodge property. There were definite signs that this was a regular migration path.
They pass through the area two or three times a year.
We had just sat down after a walk through the rainforest when one of the guides came in yelling that they had spotted a young male orangutan up in the trees, not far from the lodge.
We grabbed our cameras and ran out into the rainforest.
We could see him, up in the trees, just peering down, as we strained out head up. After a few minutes, he climbed further up into the forest canopy and disappeared from view.
This macaque was near the river's edge eating the plants growing there
We saw this flying fox (bat) hanging from a tree while we were out in the boat at night.
This very poisonous snake was curled up in the crotch of a branch in a tree over the river as we passed by in a boat.
This make proboscis monkey was up in a tree as we went by in the boat. We saw quite a few of these monkeys. Unfortunately, this one was a bit camera shy and hid his large nose from view as we went by.
More Travelogues (2)
Written Apr 29, 2010
More wildlife in the rainforest
Written Aug 7, 2010
Borneo Pigmy Elephants
GrumpyDiver's Related Pages
Sukau Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Two fantastic days on the river"
- "Where the animals used to rule"
- "Kinabatangan River"
- "An incredible wildlife experience"
- "Sukau Rainforest Lodge"
- "exploring the kinibatangan river"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Sukau
- Hotels in Sukau
- Transportation in Sukau
- Restaurants in Sukau
- Warnings and Dangers in Sukau
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Sukau
- 1 Reviews
- 28 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (102)
Have you been to Sukau?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Sukau
Photos in SukauSee All Photos (28)
Videos in SukauSee All Videos (2)
Top 10 Pages
- Ottawa Intro, 25 reviews, 233 photos, 12 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 10 reviews, 104 photos, 7 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 5 reviews, 87 photos, 10 travelogues
- Namibia Intro, 17 reviews, 72 photos, 5 travelogues
- Tibet Intro, 2 reviews, 69 photos, 8 travelogues
- Iceland Intro, 4 reviews, 57 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prince Rupert Intro, 3 reviews, 51 photos, 5 travelogues
- Toronto Intro, 6 reviews, 46 photos, 3 travelogues
- Picton Intro, 9 reviews, 41 photos, 1 travelogue
- Etosha National Park Intro, 5 reviews, 39 photos, 2 travelogues