"Colors of Tulips at the Base of the Mountains" Anacortes Travelogue by glabah
Anacortes Travel Guide: 31 reviews and 87 photos
The entire month of April is devoted to the Skagit Valley Tulip Festival. The entire festival is spread out over quite an extensive area west of Interstate 5 and south of highway 20. As the highway interchange most people are advised to use to get to the festival is the Anacortes exit off of Interstate 5, I have put my Skagit Valley Tulip Festival tip in Anacortes.
All of these photos were taken on April 10, 2010.
Skagit Valley Tulip Festival colors in the shadow of Mount Baker.
People wandering the tulip fields during the Skagit Valley Tulip Festival, which I have placed in my Anacortes section (though the tulip festival is actually mostly between Anacortes and Interstate 5).
Tickets that allow you to visit any of a number of tulip farms were available for $4, and unofficial parking fields were available cheaper. However, those unofficial parking areas do not allow people to visit multiple locations.
During the Skagit Valley Tulip Festival we visited one farm that allowed people to wander freely to other farms through the tractor trails, allowing a much more pleasant experience than would have happened if we attempted to drive from one place to another. Traffic was very heavy by late morning.
The local sheriff and other law enforcement officers like to keep the traffic through the area moving as well as possible, as things can certainly get a bit congested with all the people visiting these narrow rural roads.
So, during the Skagit Valley Tulip Festival it is best to not park in locations that block traffic or otherwise represent a hazard. They do patrol the area and will give you a "gift" if you park in a way that represents a problem to traffic.
During your visit to the Skagit Valley Tulip Festival be sure to take a close look at the details of some of the flowers. Some of them are multiple colors.
The tulip farmers do not want people to wander up and down the rows of flowers during the Skagit Valley Tulip Festival. Instead, you are asked to stay on the larger, wider tractor routes.
You will probably want to bring shoes that are good in mud, or at least you don't mind getting a bit muddy.
Look closely at the tulips, and you will find that sometimes they change color as they open up. For example, you will notice that these have a bit more yellow on them when they are still somewhat closed. Note the two in the left foreground, and one on the left middle edge.
You will find the Skagit Valley Tulip Festival has quite a splash of color, even on the microscopic scale.
- See All Anacortes Ferry Terminal
- See All Deception Pass State Park
- See All Assorted Preserved Older Buildings
glabah's Related Pages
Anacortes Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Quiet City with Old Downtown"
- "One of the ports to go to Olympic Peninsula!"
- "Gateway to the San Juans"
- "Pretty much the best place to live ever"
- "Lets Get off the Ferry!"
- "Washington State San Juan Island Adventure"
- "WFTR's new Anacortes Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Anacortes
- Hotels in Anacortes
- Transportation in Anacortes
- Nightlife in Anacortes
- Restaurants in Anacortes
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Anacortes
- 12 Reviews
- 50 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (34)
Have you been to Anacortes?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Anacortes
Photos in AnacortesSee All Photos (50)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Seattle Intro, 155 reviews, 743 photos, 13 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Portland Intro, 153 reviews, 645 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tacoma Intro, 81 reviews, 358 photos, 2 travelogues
- Nisqually National Wildlife Refuge Intro, 26 reviews, 312 photos, 26 travelogues
- Victoria Intro, 73 reviews, 237 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Port Townsend Intro, 58 reviews, 218 photos, 2 travelogues
- William Finley National Wildlife Refuge Intro, 25 reviews, 208 photos, 12 travelogues
- Washougal Intro, 18 reviews, 196 photos, 15 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Salem Intro, 31 reviews, 136 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bremerton Intro, 22 reviews, 123 photos, 4 travelogues