"Angkor Wat" Angkor Wat Travelogue by GrumpyDiver
Angkor Wat Travel Guide: 1,659 reviews and 4,840 photos
The famous three towers that you see everywhere are marred by the scaffolding of the ongoing archaelogical work. The building material seems to take on the colour of the sky.
Unfortunately, the day that we visited, that meant grey clouds.
The Ankgor Wat complex is huge. Your tour bus or tuk-tuk will drop you off near this causeway. The first challange is to get past all of the childrend and other vendors to even make it this far.
From here you get to the main gate and enter the complex
It looks like the day we visited was a bit unusual. March is still the dry season, with the heat increasing in April (the hottest month of the year) until the rains come in May.
The ground was parched and the three towers can be seen in the background.
The builders of the complexes at Anghor Thom were Hindu. After the fall of the Kymer Empire and the slow decay of the complexes, they were taken over as Buddhist places of worship.
Again, in the rain, the courtyard of the massive Angkor Wat complex
One of the three towers - a bit of artistic framing of the shot here.
The carvings at Angkor Wat are absolutely stunning. This small section of wall had a number of carved women
More Hindu legends - this wall had images of the monkey army.
More Travelogues (3)
Written Mar 28, 2010
Written Aug 5, 2010
Written Aug 6, 2010
Beng Mealea - The Lost Temple of Angkor
GrumpyDiver's Related Pages
Angkor Wat Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Angkor Wat"
- "Angkor Wat Rediscovered"
- "Angkor What?"
- "Facing to the west and stairway to heaven"
- "Angkor Wat: Our Own Personal Tuk Tuk"
- "Angkor Wat"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Angkor Wat
- Hotels in Angkor Wat
- Transportation in Angkor Wat
- Nightlife in Angkor Wat
- Restaurants in Angkor Wat
- Shopping in Angkor Wat
- Warnings and Dangers in Angkor Wat
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Angkor Wat
- 3 Reviews
- 31 Photos
- 40 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (106)
Have you been to Angkor Wat?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Angkor Wat
- Posted in Travel Iceland Forum "Re: Ice Caves in Oct."
- Commented on one of GrumpyDiver's Angkor Wat travel pages
- Wrote a Review Free (and legal) guidebook to the temples in Angkor Wat What to Pack
- Uploaded a Photo to "Beng Mealea - The Lost Temple of Angkor"
- updated a Angkor Wat Travelogue "Beng Mealea - The Lost Temple of Angkor"
- Uploaded a Video to Angkor Wat
Photos in Angkor WatSee All Photos (31)
Top 10 Pages
- Ottawa Intro, 25 reviews, 233 photos, 12 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 10 reviews, 104 photos, 7 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 5 reviews, 87 photos, 10 travelogues
- Namibia Intro, 18 reviews, 73 photos, 5 travelogues
- Tibet Intro, 2 reviews, 69 photos, 8 travelogues
- Iceland Intro, 4 reviews, 57 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prince Rupert Intro, 3 reviews, 51 photos, 5 travelogues
- Toronto Intro, 6 reviews, 46 photos, 3 travelogues
- Picton Intro, 9 reviews, 41 photos, 1 travelogue
- Gatineau Intro, 1 review, 44 photos, 5 travelogues