"On our way" Kota Kinabalu Travelogue by barbie_sunrise

Kota Kinabalu Travel Guide: 1,106 reviews and 2,942 photos

Im ready to go

It all started with the idea of going with a travel group just to see Kota Kinabalu and what it has to offer. The airfare promo is way too crazy that I booked myself in an instance. Then I asked some of my friend but then only one replied, my friend doctor Jeanne and so I booked her. I have talked to Benjo and he suggest that I better be do the Mount Kinabalu Climb rather than doing things that I can also do here in the Philippines like water rafting and Island Hopping. And so, I did my research about the whereabouts of the climb. Vter din2x was also a big help for my search for Kinabalu Trip. I exchanges emails with Lurrine and Gullian of Sutera Lodge, they do take care of the reservations for the climb. Me and Jeanne was able to booked for Mount Kinabalu Climb.
Then after a few weeks, the airfare promo is there again and I told Benjo about it. He is actually in Mount Pulag at that time. Him with Kurk and Lupz decided to go with us. Then Ninya, Jhing and Haxel follows. Then we are 8.
Few weeks before going to Kota Kinabalu, VTer Chin decided to join us and she did. I made another booking so that I can join them for the first day.
Sad news, Jhing wasnt able to make it because his passport was not released.

meeting at the right place (LOL!)

I woke up early at 630am to finalize what I have to bring. I was so excited and a little bit nervous of what will happen in this tour since I was the one who planned the itinerary. Waking up early gave me enough time to have breakfast and have a quick view of my emails. Upon opening up my internet, I also found some of my friends who will be joining the Kota Kinabalu tour. Kurk made an arrangement since he lives nearby my house to join me going to the meeting place. I waited for him past 1030am arriving with a cab so I hurriedly jump in and head off to St. Francis Square. We arrived at the meeting place around 1115am. Supposedly in Mc Donald’s but confusedly it was Jollibee that was near the Philtranco Station. So some of my companions, Chin and Lupz, are waiting at Mc Donald’s but we stayed at Jollibee and asked them to join us. We ordered our lunch. 5 minutes before 12noon, we walk to the bus station in which it’s just a right time, the bus just came in. We had our reservation for 8 that is why the seats are already pre-assigned and given to us. We sit comfortably and catch some sleep.

VTer Haxel passed the immigration!

We arrived at Diosdado Macapagal Airport (Clark Airport) past 2pm. We checked in and passed the immigration. But Haxel wasnt able to pass easily because she is working for a government agency. We went to the waiting area. Anxiously waiting for her if she can make it or not. After a few minutes or is it an hour(?), she came out from the immigration counter with all the sweats and she's catching up her breath as she told us how she went through.
While waiting for our boarding time, we met 3 new friends (Ali, jason and J...) who has the same dates as we have and same climb date. Few minutes before 4pm, we were called for boarding.

Kota Kinabalu at last!

2 hours after, we were at Kota Kinabalu International Airport. Yey! The line passing through the immigration is long as well as the waiting time. We all passed the immigration almost past 7pm. We got our tickets for airport taxi which cost us RM30 good for 4 persons going to the city. So we took 2 cabs since we are 7.

Room Searching at Rainforest Lodge

We reached rainforest lodge and had our room searching until we’ve found a dorm type which is good for 6 people but we are 7 at that time then the next day we will be 8. But we decided to squeeze in to that room at RM 25 each per night. It has a common bathroom and airconditiones room

Dinner at Ang's Restaurant

After unpacking and settling things, we looked for a money changer then a place to eat. We ate at a Chinese restaurant, because we saw lots of locals eating at this place. Probably they serve good food. We tried different cuisine and tasted each one.

Going around

It was past 1030pm, after our dinner we decided to go around and look for something to do. We reached the bay area and stayed for a little while. We walk around the city but there nothing much to do. We met a few Filipino Vendors and tour guides. Had a few minutes chat. Walk to the Market then turn around going back to our lodge.

Time to go to Bed

We went back to the lodge. Freshen up and sleep. But I think the boys went out and had a few beers. Hehe! Zzzzzzzzzzz

click here for more pics

next stop- Day 1

  • Page Updated Mar 8, 2010
  • Add to Trip Planner (?)
  • Report Abuse



“enjoy all the places in the world!!!”

Online Now


Top 5,000 Travel Writer
Member Rank:
0 1 7 0 1
Forum Rank:
0 0 9 3 5

Badges & Stats in Kota Kinabalu

  • 2 Reviews
  • 44 Photos
  • 10 Forum posts
  • 1,346PageViews

Have you been to Kota Kinabalu?

  Share Your Travels  

Latest Activity in Kota Kinabalu

Photos in Kota Kinabalu

See All Photos (44)

Travel Interests

See All Travel Interests (5)