"Majorca 2009" Personal Page by tango_jd
Majorca often suffers a bad reputation but although there are some touristy, brash, busy resorts there are also some beautiful, natural, quiet parts.
We tend to stay in popular resorts but choose a quieter area and then do a lot of exploring and wandering-about rather than just lounge by a pool or on a beach (not that there is anything wrong in that if that is what you like!)
Take the "Wooden Train" from Palma to Soller. The old train passes through countless tunnels as it winds its way up the mountains finally emerging at Soller. There is a spectacular view on the way which the train often stops at to provide a photo-opportunity.
The Wooden train.....
For a great day-trip, take a trip on the Soller Train.
This old wooden train runs from Palma to Soller in the North-West and goes-through 20-odd tunnels and up into the mountains.
It is possible to catch the train yourself although I understand it can be crowded at times.
We took an organised trip (typically 50 - 60GBP each) which gave us a coach-ride to Palma from our resort, followed by a trip UP the coast to Soller. We then caught a similarly-aged wooden TRAM through th estreets and down to Puerto Soller where we caught a catamaran, to sail to Sa Colobra. That is a stunning little cove with apebble beach at the end of a steep river gauge. Once off the boat, you can walk through the tunnels/grotto to the beach or the river gauge.
The trip ends with a coach trip through th ehills along the "Snake Road".
..and the Wooden Tram from Soller to Puerto Soller
Beautiful little bay and village (slightly overrun by tourists)
After an ice-cream, walk from the harbour through the rock tunnel to the stony bay.
You can get to a small stony bay, or you can walk inland along the river bed into a steep-sided valley.
The river is full of fish - but was very low whilst I was there and did not fill the valley much at all.
And of course you CAN spend a day at the beach for a relaxing change!
Top Travel Pages
Share your travels with the world!Join Now!
Badges & Stats
- 70 Reviews
- 265 Photos
- 9 Countries
- 16 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (28)
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Word Association Game."
- Commented on one of tango_jd's Malta tips
- Uploaded a Photo to "Lovely clean Apartments in good location"
- Wrote a Review Peaceful resting place - Père Lachaise Cemetery about Cemeteries & Other Resting Places in Paris Off The Beaten Path
- updated a Veneto Travelogue "Grand Canal"
- tango_jd and mickeyboy07 are now friends.
updated their Personal Page "Paphos, Cyprus 2007"
- Uploaded a Video to Corfe Castle
VideosSee All Videos (9)
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 7 reviews, 35 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Swanage Intro, 8 reviews, 21 photos, 1 travelogue
- Albufeira Intro, 7 reviews, 18 photos, 2 travelogues
- Barcelona Intro, 7 reviews, 14 photos
- Wales Intro, 16 photos, 5 travelogues
- Cornwall Intro, 5 reviews, 11 photos
- Rome Intro, 1 review, 14 photos, 2 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 5 reviews, 10 photos
- Stratford-upon-Avon Intro, 4 reviews, 10 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tossa Intro, 5 reviews, 8 photos
- Paris Hotels
- 22149 Reviews - 53809 Photos
- Orlando Hotels
- 3078 Reviews - 5774 Photos
- New York City Hotels
- 15552 Reviews - 30943 Photos
- London Hotels
- 23056 Reviews - 47246 Photos
- Rome Hotels
- 11940 Reviews - 26463 Photos
- Cancún Hotels
- 1927 Reviews - 3713 Photos
- Myrtle Beach Hotels
- 319 Reviews - 425 Photos
- Las Vegas Hotels
- 8354 Reviews - 17025 Photos
- Manila Hotels
- 1905 Reviews - 4447 Photos
- Baguio Hotels
- 325 Reviews - 885 Photos
- Toronto Hotels
- 4263 Reviews - 8768 Photos
- Melbourne Hotels
- 3341 Reviews - 7498 Photos
- Goa Hotels
- 2036 Reviews - 3787 Photos
- Istanbul Hotels
- 7626 Reviews - 19412 Photos
- Panama City Beach Hotels
- 193 Reviews - 288 Photos