"Temporary travelogue – help us to write the tip" Top 5 Page for this destination Neuchâtel Travelogue by Zvrlj
Neuchâtel Travel Guide: 89 reviews and 205 photos
This is, obviously, Monument de la Republique in Neuchatel, in Switzerland.
The detail provides some information:
"On September 12, 1814, Neuchatel became the 21st canton, but also remained a Prussian principality. It took a bloodless revolution in the decades following for Neuchatel to shake off its princely past and declare itself, on March 1, 1848, a republic within the Swiss Confederation. To this day, the Republic and Canton of Neuchatel is the only one of the 26 to proudly fly a tricolour – green, white and red, with a minute Swiss cross hanging in the top corner." (copy-pasted from Wikipedia)
After quite a long time of googling, it seems possible that the monument is artwork of sculptor Fritz Ulysse Landry and architect L. Chatelain (1: Louis Chatelain, * 1805 Neuchatel – † September 3, 1885 Neuchatel, Swiss architect, watercolorist and draftsman, father of Leo Chetelain; 2: Leo Chatelain / Leon Chatelain, * May 11, 1839 Neuchatel – † March 18, 1913 Neuchatel, Swiss architect, watercolorist and restorer, son of Louis Chatelain, father of Louys Chatelain; 3: Louys Chatelain / Louis-Ferdinand Chatelain, * January 22, 1877 Neuchatel – † May 31, 1947 Neuchatel, Swiss architect and watercolorist, son of Leo Chatelain).
But I could not find anything certain, so, any help would be appreciated.
kokoryko has sent us the link to the page of the “Swiss historical Dictionary”:
It says that the author is August Heer.
It turns to be real investigation. Lou (VT alza) has find out more:
"I read excerpts from a specialist book on Swiss Monuments where it said that up to a recent past, Switzerland did not gather or promote info on artists and the sum of their works. Said that the "ouvrier" (sculptor or other) was not focussed on as much as the will to promote loyalty to the Republic. In other words (if I understand correctly), info on sculptors and others was often not readily available.
In memoirs of a politician of the time, found this:
Le monument élevé sur la place A.-M. Piaget à Neuchâtel, est une réalisation
du Zurichois August Heer et du Bâlois Adolf Meyer. Personnage principal
: le peuple neuchâtelois sous les traits d’un jeune homme tenant le
faisceau de licteur, symbole de l’union et de la force. Derrière lui la République,
symbolisée par une jeune paysanne, et Helvétia, mère bienveillante…
which translates to:
'The monument built on the Square A.-M. Piaget in Neuchâtel is the work of August Heer from Zurich and Adolf Meyer from Basel. Main character: the people of Neuchâtel represented as a young man holding the fasces (of lictor), symbol of union and strength. Behind him, the Republic, symbolised by a young peasant woman, and Helvetia, the good mother.'
The writer of those Memoirs refers to a pageant for the 50th Anniversary of the Republic of Neuchâtel on 11 July 1898, which was made a civic holiday. Text says officials took this opportunity to inaugurate the Monument on that day."
We hope to complete the tip in next few days :-)
- See All Neuchatel Fountains – Fontaine de...
- See All Temple du Bas | The Lower Temple (I&V)
- See All City Map, Tourist Guides… (I&V)
Zvrlj's Related Pages
Neuchâtel Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Neuchatel – Splendid Yellow City"
- "Neuchâtel, the city of 140 fountains"
- "Neuchatel in the Watch Valley"
- "NEUCHATEL BY LAKE NEUCHATEL"
- "Memories of Neuchatel"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Neuchâtel
- Hotels in Neuchâtel
- Transportation in Neuchâtel
- Restaurants in Neuchâtel
- Shopping in Neuchâtel
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Neuchâtel
- 30 Reviews
- 74 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 9 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (19)
Have you been to Neuchâtel?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Neuchâtel
- updated a Neuchâtel Travel Page "Neuchatel – Splendid Yellow City"
- Posted in Travel Breda Forum "BredaPhoto"
- Wrote a Review Neuchatel Fountains – Fontaine de l'Hopital (I&V) in Neuchâtel Local Customs
- Uploaded a Photo to "Neuchatel Fountains – Fontaine de l'Hopital (I&V)"
- Commented on one of Sienlu's Neuchâtel travel pages
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Venice Intro, 94 reviews, 176 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kragujevac Intro, 58 reviews, 152 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lausanne Intro, 52 reviews, 132 photos
- Prague Intro, 36 reviews, 94 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Neuchâtel Intro, 30 reviews, 74 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ohrid Intro, 20 reviews, 60 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Niksic Intro, 20 reviews, 48 photos
- Petrovac na Moru Intro, 14 reviews, 40 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Despotovac Intro, 14 reviews, 40 photos
- Budapest Intro, 12 reviews, 38 photos, 1 travelogue