"Bahundanda to Chame" Annapurna Himal Travelogue by tayloretc

Annapurna Himal Travel Guide: 199 reviews and 468 photos

We hitched a ride in a 10-seat jeep with 21 other people and jumped out about an hour’s hike from Bahundanda.

See that dark cloud on the right? About 20 minutes later we were drenched. We waited out the worst of it in the front room of a house along the path, but I still had to pour water out of my boots.

The next day was overcast and the trail was slick mud and slippery rocks through rice paddies and towns sitting on sheer drops. That jumble of rocks is the trail.

(I was bitten by a leech along this stretch, and I’m still pissed off about it. Leeches suck.)

A little further on, things dry out.

Parts of the lower trail have been blasted to become what will be a road around the Annapurna massif. Sometimes this makes the trek easier; sometimes it doesn’t, and you wind up scrambling up 20 feet of loose dirt or gravel at 45 degrees.

I think this is main street in Jagat, which is one of the bigger towns along this stretch.

It takes a couple of days to get out of this valley, and it gets pretty narrow in places.

If you look carefully about half way up the right side, you can see a piece of the trail being blasted out to become that road.

The pretty town of Tal is the smudge at the end of the river bed here.

Behind the clouds are the beginnings of rocky and snow-covered mountains. Well, I thought they were mountains. My guide and porter laughed at this – to them they were hills. (It’s only a mountain if it has year-round snow.)

There’s still about an hours worth of stairs on this stretch...

Continue on: Chame to Ghyaru

• Page Updated Apr 15, 2010

Comments

tayloretc

“The true delight is in the finding out.”

Badges & Stats in Annapurna Himal

Have you been to Annapurna Himal?

Latest Activity in Annapurna Himal