"Bahundanda to Chame" Annapurna Himal Travelogue by tayloretc
Annapurna Himal Travel Guide: 197 reviews and 457 photos
We hitched a ride in a 10-seat jeep with 21 other people and jumped out about an hour’s hike from Bahundanda.
See that dark cloud on the right? About 20 minutes later we were drenched. We waited out the worst of it in the front room of a house along the path, but I still had to pour water out of my boots.
The next day was overcast and the trail was slick mud and slippery rocks through rice paddies and towns sitting on sheer drops. That jumble of rocks is the trail.
(I was bitten by a leech along this stretch, and I’m still pissed off about it. Leeches suck.)
A little further on, things dry out.
Parts of the lower trail have been blasted to become what will be a road around the Annapurna massif. Sometimes this makes the trek easier; sometimes it doesn’t, and you wind up scrambling up 20 feet of loose dirt or gravel at 45 degrees.
It takes a couple of days to get out of this valley, and it gets pretty narrow in places.
If you look carefully about half way up the right side, you can see a piece of the trail being blasted out to become that road.
The pretty town of Tal is the smudge at the end of the river bed here.
Behind the clouds are the beginnings of rocky and snow-covered mountains. Well, I thought they were mountains. My guide and porter laughed at this – to them they were hills. (It’s only a mountain if it has year-round snow.)
There’s still about an hours worth of stairs on this stretch...
Continue on: Chame to Ghyaru
tayloretc's Related Pages
Annapurna Himal Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Annapurna Conservation Area - a Trekking Guide"
- "Annapurna 6 day's trekking."
- "Trying the Annapurna Circuit"
- "Around the Annapurna's: a first class party trek"
- "Annapurna Trekking"
- "Annapurna Base Camp Trek - A superb trip"
- "Hiking in the Annapurnas..."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Annapurna Himal
- Hotels in Annapurna Himal
- Transportation in Annapurna Himal
- Nightlife in Annapurna Himal
- Restaurants in Annapurna Himal
- Shopping in Annapurna Himal
- Warnings and Dangers in Annapurna Himal
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Annapurna Himal
- 3 Reviews
- 46 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (15)
Have you been to Annapurna Himal?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Annapurna Himal
Photos in Annapurna HimalSee All Photos (46)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chennai (Madras) Intro, 47 reviews, 68 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Uttar Pradesh Intro, 1 review, 80 photos, 10 travelogues
- Quebec Intro, 7 reviews, 65 photos, 9 travelogues
- Donji Milanovac Intro, 16 reviews, 53 photos, 4 travelogues
- Madikeri Intro, 17 reviews, 44 photos, 3 travelogues
- Barnstable Intro, 10 reviews, 48 photos, 4 travelogues
- Bitola Intro, 1 review, 55 photos, 7 travelogues
- New Delhi Intro, 4 reviews, 46 photos, 5 travelogues
- Penang Intro, 11 reviews, 38 photos, 1 travelogue
- Annapurna Himal Intro, 3 reviews, 46 photos, 5 travelogues