"appendix" Personal Page by TheLongTone
Some jottings on my pages
Q- Why the LongTone
I'm constantly intrigued by othe member's sign-on names. Some are pretty obvious, of course, but others ar bizarre and enigmatic. Of course a good enigma is better than a prosaic reality, so I'd never ask why, for example 'goodfish' or 'Gatopardo 'chose their moniker.
I'll put the answer along way down this page for those who want the dull reality.
Q- That PPP... What is it and why? 'Velcro Eats the World' courtesy of Finn doesn't tell us much, does it?
A- When I first joined VT, I very quickly realised that participation in forum discussions was greatly enhanced by having a visual signature as well as a name.
At that time I had no digital camera, so the only digital images available were things swiped from the Internet or some kind of graphic creation.
My hard drive was full of drawings done on the computer by my kids. So I just grabbed the first that caught my eye, something that worked well as a thumbnail, bunged it up there and have remained loyal to it ever since.
Velcro is the name of my kids' cat. So called because he'd stick to your jumper like the stuff. The boys have created a surreal mythological meta-Velcro, a creature of infinite voraciousness who speaks in a cod German accent.
The metaphor by which Velcro could represent the insatiable appetite of the tourism industry for places unaffected by the tourist industry did not occur to me until later.
In any case, since I am the one doing the photograpy, I do tend not to appear much in my photos. (My shadow is another matter)
My own appendixis still in situ after the close shave in Leningrad. My tonsils also. I was lucky enough to have entirely escaped the surgeons knife until close encounter with a crim weilding a spade necessitated some titanum scaffolding around my right eye. I was most disappointed to find that these do not set off airport scanners. The slight bump terminaring my right eyebrow is caused by a tiny screwhead.
This photo is taken by Johnny at the 2009 Bristol Kite festival. I'm trying to look happy and relaxed while a jammy fingered eleven-year-old gets his paws on my digital SLR. Bless.
And here is a man flying a kite. Its a patang, the traditional Indian fighter kite, albeit a posh Mylar surfaced one. The traditional paper doesn't stand up very well to the English damp.
Although only flown on a single line, they are (sort of) controllable, but they
are tricky little things, and need a fairly gentle wind to fly: most of the time it's too windy to get much out of them.
Another photograph of me. I'm on the left.
These decorated fibreglass gorillas are great fun, and are much photographed. I too a photo for a couple, and in return they persuaded me to pose.
More Personal Pages (1)
Top Travel Pages
Share your travels with the world!Join Now!
Badges & Stats
- 330 Reviews
- 593 Photos
- 6 Countries
- 45 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (23)
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Word Association Game."
- Wrote a Review I thought it was the staff of life about Food and Drink in London Shopping
- Commented on TheLongTone's travelogue
- Uploaded a Photo to "I've seen the needle and the damage done"
- updated a Clapham Travel Page "Clapham, nestled between Common and Junction"
updated their Profile Page "Home, Home on the Page"
- TheLongTone and unravelau are now friends.
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bristol Intro, 68 reviews, 134 photos, 7 travelogues
- Cairo Intro, 49 reviews, 48 photos
- London Intro, 28 reviews, 38 photos, 2 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 17 reviews, 18 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dover Intro, 17 reviews, 18 photos, 1 travelogue
- Yemen Intro, 11 reviews, 17 photos, 1 travelogue
- Figuig Intro, 9 reviews, 15 photos, 2 travelogues
- Alexandria Intro, 10 reviews, 13 photos, 1 travelogue
- Luxor Intro, 9 reviews, 10 photos
- Sfax Intro, 7 reviews, 10 photos
- Paris Hotels
- 22459 Reviews - 54964 Photos
- Dubai Hotels
- 2701 Reviews - 7925 Photos
- London Hotels
- 23314 Reviews - 48908 Photos
- New York City Hotels
- 15642 Reviews - 31276 Photos
- Manila Hotels
- 2025 Reviews - 4971 Photos
- Playa del Carmen Hotels
- 780 Reviews - 1749 Photos
- Orlando Hotels
- 3092 Reviews - 5855 Photos
- Cancún Hotels
- 1933 Reviews - 3724 Photos
- Punta Cana Hotels
- 422 Reviews - 1020 Photos
- Baguio Hotels
- 328 Reviews - 894 Photos
- Goa Hotels
- 2058 Reviews - 3874 Photos
- Rome Hotels
- 12023 Reviews - 26760 Photos
- Bangkok Hotels
- 10315 Reviews - 22905 Photos
- Istanbul Hotels
- 7828 Reviews - 20233 Photos
- Las Vegas Hotels
- 8419 Reviews - 17290 Photos