"Askja" Iceland Travelogue by GrumpyDiver
Iceland Travel Guide: 5,607 reviews and 16,715 photos
Long journey to get here. You are literally in the middle of nowhere. This was the primary place we wanted to see on this trip to Iceland. The volcano Askja.
It took several hours of tough driving in a 4x4 from Myvatn to get here, some 100 km from the Ring Road.
Lake Öskjuvatn at over 200 m deep is the deepest lake in Iceland.
Viti is a small explosion crater beside the main crater.
The water in Viti is geothermally heated and has a milky-blue colour to it.
People take advantage of the warm (low 20sC - mid 70s F) and swim here. There is some risk as a carbon dioxide buildup can occur and suffocate anyone there.
A long steep path gets you into the crater
To get to and from the crater you have to walk some 2-1/2 km, often over snow.
We made it back! Now a few more hours of backroad driving to get to our next destination.
GrumpyDiver's Related Pages
Iceland Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "ICELAND - THE LAND OF ICE AND FIRE."
- "From Seyðisfjörður to Seyðisfjörður"
- "Incredible ICELAND"
- "A land of Fire, water and ice!"
- "Surprising Iceland!"
- "Iceland: small wonder!"
- "a childhood dream come true at last"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Iceland
- Hotels in Iceland
- Transportation in Iceland
- Nightlife in Iceland
- Restaurants in Iceland
- Shopping in Iceland
- Warnings and Dangers in Iceland
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Iceland
- 9 Reviews
- 136 Photos
- 387 Forum posts
- 1 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (107)
Have you been to Iceland?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Iceland
- Posted in Travel Bangkok Forum "Re: International Adaptors"
- Commented on one of GrumpyDiver's Iceland travelogues
- updated a Iceland Travel Page "Iceland Travel - Reykjavik"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Hexagonal Basalt"
- Uploaded a Video to Iceland
- Wrote a Review Driving the "F" Roads in Iceland Transportation
Videos in IcelandSee All Videos (7)
Top 10 Pages
- Ottawa Intro, 25 reviews, 233 photos, 12 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 10 reviews, 104 photos, 7 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 5 reviews, 87 photos, 10 travelogues
- Namibia Intro, 18 reviews, 73 photos, 5 travelogues
- Tibet Intro, 2 reviews, 69 photos, 8 travelogues
- Iceland Intro, 4 reviews, 57 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prince Rupert Intro, 3 reviews, 51 photos, 5 travelogues
- Toronto Intro, 6 reviews, 46 photos, 3 travelogues
- Picton Intro, 9 reviews, 41 photos, 1 travelogue
- Gatineau Intro, 1 review, 44 photos, 5 travelogues