"Askja" Iceland Travelogue by GrumpyDiver

Iceland Travel Guide: 5,729 reviews and 17,283 photos

Askja and Lake Öskjuvatn

Long journey to get here. You are literally in the middle of nowhere. This was the primary place we wanted to see on this trip to Iceland. The volcano Askja.

It took several hours of tough driving in a 4x4 from Myvatn to get here, some 100 km from the Ring Road.

Askja and Lake Öskjuvatn

Lake Öskjuvatn at over 200 m deep is the deepest lake in Iceland.

Viti Crater

Viti is a small explosion crater beside the main crater.

Viti Crater

The water in Viti is geothermally heated and has a milky-blue colour to it.

People swimming in Viti Crater

People take advantage of the warm (low 20sC - mid 70s F) and swim here. There is some risk as a carbon dioxide buildup can occur and suffocate anyone there.

Getting into to the Viti crater

A long steep path gets you into the crater

Yes - snow in July

To get to and from the crater you have to walk some 2-1/2 km, often over snow.

Parking lot

We made it back! Now a few more hours of backroad driving to get to our next destination.

• Page Written Jan 1, 2010

• Regina1965's Profile Photo
    Mar 5, 2014 at 6:48 AM

Fantastic photos, Manfred :) Cannot wait for my trip there next summer. Our honeymoon trip will be to get lost somewhere in the wilderness of Iceland ;)

• GrumpyDiver's Profile Photo
      Mar 5, 2014 at 7:02 AM

Thanks Regina - it really was a fantastic place in the middle of nowhere. Hard to get to, but really one of the most spectacular places we saw.

Any plans to visit Ottawa this year? I rather doubt we will make it to Iceland.

• Regina1965's Profile Photo
      Mar 5, 2014 at 7:11 AM

My plans for visiting Ottawa fell through last year and this year we have so many plans already that I doubt it, although I would love to do so. Fingers crossed. Too bad you won´t be able to come over to Iceland for a visit.

GrumpyDiver

“ Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst. - Henri Cartier-Bresson ”

Badges & Stats in Iceland

Have you been to Iceland?

Latest Activity in Iceland