"Mer Bleue" Personal Page by GrumpyDiver
The bog, located in the eastern part of Ottawa, is one of my favourite places to see the great outdoors.
It's a peat bog, and is listed under the Ramsar Convention (The Convention on Wetlands of International Importance). Public access is along a path (mostly a boardwalk) that runs about 1.2 km long.
A wonderful place to visit on a fall afternoon.
Mer Bleue is a boreal-like bog that has features that are normally found much further north (for instance around Hudsons Bay).
A Sphagnum (peat) bog that also has larch, tamarack and black spruce as well as other smaller plants.
Sorry, I don't know what these are, but this is a closeup of the ground cover seen in the previous image.
Dead tree, covered by these interesting looking bell-shaped fungii
The bullrushes or cattails have generally gone to seed. A few are still standing in the marsh.
Beavers, muskrats, waterfowl and spotted turtle make their homes here.
This beaver lodge is located right beside the boardwalk.
Beavers are not the brightest of creatures, but they are hard workers. Some beaver gnawed this large (30 cm / 1 ft) diameter tree down. It is a good 50 m . 55 yds away from the marsh.
Too large and too far to move.
I've often wondered why the beaver is Canada's animal symbol - hard working but not too bright?
Our last view of the bog, through the remaining fall folliage. It's not as pretty as last weekend, as a lot of the leaves are alread on the ground, but we'll take days like this whenever we can in October. The dreary part of fall will be here in another week or so, and it's still a long way away from spring.
Top Travel Pages
Share your travels with the world!Join Now!
Badges & Stats
- 180 Reviews
- 2,066 Photos
- 16 Countries
- 44 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (102)
- Posted in Travel Kunming Forum "Re: Where can I get my laptop..."
- Commented on GrumpyDiver's profile page
- updated a Dacre Travel Page "Passing through Dacre - visit the ghost town"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Passing through Dacre - visit the ghost town"
- Wrote a Review A pleasant surprise in Almonte in Almonte Restaurants
updated their Profile Page "Grumpy Diver's Travel Highlights"
- GrumpyDiver and henri123 are now friends.
- Uploaded a Video to World
VideosSee All Videos (65)
Top 10 Pages
- Ottawa Intro, 25 reviews, 233 photos, 12 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 10 reviews, 104 photos, 7 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 5 reviews, 87 photos, 10 travelogues
- Namibia Intro, 17 reviews, 72 photos, 5 travelogues
- Tibet Intro, 2 reviews, 69 photos, 8 travelogues
- Iceland Intro, 4 reviews, 57 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prince Rupert Intro, 3 reviews, 51 photos, 5 travelogues
- Toronto Intro, 6 reviews, 46 photos, 3 travelogues
- Picton Intro, 9 reviews, 41 photos, 1 travelogue
- Etosha National Park Intro, 5 reviews, 39 photos, 2 travelogues
- Paris Hotels
- 22161 Reviews - 53866 Photos
- Orlando Hotels
- 3079 Reviews - 5774 Photos
- New York City Hotels
- 15523 Reviews - 30893 Photos
- London Hotels
- 23058 Reviews - 47256 Photos
- Rome Hotels
- 11941 Reviews - 26470 Photos
- Cancún Hotels
- 1927 Reviews - 3713 Photos
- Myrtle Beach Hotels
- 319 Reviews - 425 Photos
- Las Vegas Hotels
- 8346 Reviews - 17013 Photos
- Manila Hotels
- 1908 Reviews - 4459 Photos
- Baguio Hotels
- 325 Reviews - 885 Photos
- Toronto Hotels
- 4278 Reviews - 8803 Photos
- Melbourne Hotels
- 3341 Reviews - 7498 Photos
- Goa Hotels
- 2036 Reviews - 3787 Photos
- Istanbul Hotels
- 7630 Reviews - 19467 Photos
- Panama City Beach Hotels
- 193 Reviews - 288 Photos