"Strange foods of China" China Travelogue by lindyz

China Travel Guide: 30,108 reviews and 85,881 photos

Whilst we did not eat anything strange or unusual (not that we know of anyway!) we certainly did come across some rather odd delicacies on our 3 weeks of travel. I lost count of the amount of times I would ask Tracy, Chris or our guides, "What on earth is that?" Their usual reply would be, "You dont want to know!"

On our very first day in Beijing we accidentally stumbled on "Scorpion Alley" just off Wangfujing Street, where you could eat some rather strange objects on skewers. Not just scorpions, but grasshoppers, seahorses, starfish and some rather big ugly brown bug things!

This was at the same food vendor - a rather small bird like creature, that didnt look extremely appetising to me!

This photo was taken in the Muslim Quarters market area in Xian. George our guide told me it was goat's feet - yuckyyyyy!!! I dont particularly think I would enjoy eating goats feet!

Now we are in Shanghai at the Super Brand Mall in Pudong. This was a HUGE Supermarket, I think called Lotus. My impression of it was that it was just like a big Woolies. But ... they sold some rather unusual food items here! This is a tray of some kind of small roasted bird, but still with the head on! I dont like eating any meat product that still has its head on, makes me feel too guilty, like its still looking at me!

Same store, just now we have very large roasted birds, but still with the head on. I dont know, maybe its roast duck, that seems to be a delicacy in China. I did eat some absolutely delicious roast duck in Beijing, but not with the head on!

Same Lotus Supermarket, but they also sold living seafood of any description, like fish, crabs etc. Wonder if my local Woolies here in Fairy Meadow will bring in live crabs for me?

Oh ... and to finish off, I will take you back to Scorpion Alley in Beijing. This is a man sitting with a big bowl of alive scorpions and he is threading them onto the skewer while they are still alive! They seemed to stay alive for quite a while on the skewer, but I guess eventually they died, dont think Id live too long with a wooden skewer through my body! While I was taking the picture, he was waving the skewer in my face and succeeding to really freak me out!

Now ... while this is just a small portion of the "unusual" foods that can be found in China, they are more the rarity and not the norm. Tracy and I ate a lot of local Chinese food during our 3 weeks, all of which was prepared fresh and super tasty. Of course, for those of you who do not want to step outside the square you live in, there are plenty of western alternatives, such as McDonalds, KFC, Burger King, Pizza Hut and Subway. (by the way, we did sample a few of these as well!) And there are many worldly cuisines to sample also, such as Italian, Indian, Arabic, and whatever else tickles your fancy - IT IS ALL THERE, JUST WAITING FOR YOU TO EAT IT!!!

• Page Updated Oct 23, 2009

Comments

lindyz

“logic takes you from A to B ... imagination takes you everywhere ...”

Badges & Stats in China