"Various Paintings" Personal Page by painterdave
This was a street near the central piazza in Orvieto. I sold this one to someone in Colorado. The size was about 15 by 28.
I completed most of it in Orvieto when I made my first painting trip in the month of April about 5 years ago.
I liked Orvieto a lot and have gone back two more times. It is a small city built on a huge rock landscape. When you drive by it going from Rome to Firenze you think to yourself, "I want to go there!"
Started in Tuscany and finished in Colorado. Here you can see its size.
There are many of these types of Villas, but with less trees. It seems more spacious there, and I wanted to make a backdrop, so I put more in.
A year ago I was in Firenze and saw a painter from Croatia on the street with a painting of the same place. We had a good talk over an espresso about painting.
I am attracted by doorways and entry ways. This one I found in Venezia. There are a lot of these places and I never tire of painting them.
I like Venezia much better in the winter as there are fewer tourists and it is sometimes like a deserted city. You let yourself get lost and wander around taking in everything.
When I visited South Africa I took some photos of the ladies who were making baskets in a market outside of Durban. I enjoyed these markets a lot and felt that I should paint something from this experience. This painting is one of my oldest done on a full sheet of heavyweight paper.
These women work real hard to earn money for survival. The one woman at first had a face of distrust until we talked about her work. I wanted to capture this feeling of distrust in the painting.
Partially made up out of my mind and partially a real place. I used deep colors for the depth of the hills and grape plants. I wanted to capture the feel on Tuscany with its hills and valleys.
It is so nice to drive through the middle of Tuscany, and the drive near Montalcino in the middle of summer has some wonderful sunflower fields. This drive is said to be one of the most beautiful, but I have to say that in the Fall it is not as beautiful in places as it is dry and they have plowed up the sunflower fields.
By the way, the wine of Montalcino is some of the best in the world.
This is a small medieval town in Slovenia and a bit of a tourist trap, but this one scene I really liked. I don't have much to say about this place except that this scene was talking to my brush and paper when I first saw it.
There is a huge church in Padova where pilgrims come to see the jaw of the old saint, and other relics. Bus loads of people come every day, and they walk around and look up to see a wonderfully created rooftops and spires. This painting was made partially on location. It is bit washed out in this photo.
When I bike past the back of this church in the morning the sun hits the angel on top makes it look so enchanting. It makes my day start out nice and gives me a good feeling to know I live in such a special place. I wish I knew more about who designed all the towers and rooftops, because it must have taken several generations to finish such a place.
Top Travel Pages
Share your travels with the world!Join Now!
Badges & Stats
- 628 Reviews
- 2,011 Photos
- 12 Countries
- 139 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (18)
- painterdave and KShezz are now friends.
- Commented on Redang's profile page
- Posted in Travel Europe Forum "Re: First time to Europe"
- Wrote a Review Walking Through Flea Market...... in Arezzo Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Walking Through Flea Market......"
- updated a Arezzo Travel Page "Arezzo"
updated their Profile Page "Italianized! 4 years in Residence"
- Uploaded a Video to World
VideosSee All Videos (36)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Padova Intro, 53 reviews, 146 photos
- Venice Intro, 28 reviews, 84 photos
- Chania Intro, 21 reviews, 79 photos
- San Francisco Intro, 21 reviews, 68 photos
- Lago di Garda Intro, 15 reviews, 56 photos
- Parker Intro, 14 reviews, 47 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Modena Intro, 11 reviews, 44 photos
- Paris Intro, 13 reviews, 39 photos
- Rome Intro, 15 reviews, 32 photos
- Isla de Tenerife Intro, 11 reviews, 34 photos
- Paris Hotels
- 22192 Reviews - 53983 Photos
- New York City Hotels
- 15557 Reviews - 30993 Photos
- Orlando Hotels
- 3082 Reviews - 5778 Photos
- London Hotels
- 23034 Reviews - 47260 Photos
- Myrtle Beach Hotels
- 319 Reviews - 425 Photos
- Rome Hotels
- 11941 Reviews - 26475 Photos
- Manila Hotels
- 1912 Reviews - 4527 Photos
- Cancún Hotels
- 1930 Reviews - 3719 Photos
- Las Vegas Hotels
- 8369 Reviews - 17097 Photos
- Toronto Hotels
- 4277 Reviews - 8800 Photos
- Baguio Hotels
- 325 Reviews - 885 Photos
- Melbourne Hotels
- 3341 Reviews - 7497 Photos
- Istanbul Hotels
- 7697 Reviews - 19749 Photos
- Panama City Beach Hotels
- 193 Reviews - 288 Photos
- Dubai Hotels
- 2421 Reviews - 6530 Photos