"Paintings of Street Lights . . . all over!" Personal Page by Beausoleil
My latest streetlight painting. We were visiting the Rodin Gardens and I took quite a few photos of his "The Thinker" and immediately noticed this one as (1) containing a much-loved streetlight and (2) having an extra thinker in the courtyard near the statue. It was an irresistable subject, especially with the building on the other side of the entrance courtyard reflected in the window beside the second thinker (or the live thinker).
It seems everyplace wants beautiful street lights and they all seem to be slightly different. We've even seen places that have rather homely and very useful street lights accompanied by lovely old fashioned beauties that are just for show.
This one is on the side of a house in Bergheim, a small village in the Alsace region of France.
Of course the street lights in Paris are beautiful. Everything in Paris is beautiful.
Sarlat la Canéda is just north of the Dordogne River in southwest France. We drove through it often while sightseeing and spent a lovely day in the town walking through the Old Town. This street light is near the Goose Market in Old Town.
Sarlat is a beautiful town with lots of free parking. You follow signs to parking and then walk down into the Old Town where there are shops, restaurants, hotels, street performers and lovely old buildings . . . and a wonderful market.
We have stayed near this charming village several times and are always ready to return. Not only is the village a joy; the views from the village are nothing short of spectacular.
To do a search on Virtual Tourist, type Tourette-sur-Loup into the Search Window. For some reason VT spells it differently from the way the townspeople and the Michelin map people spell it. 8^)
When we have an extra sightseeing day, we always look for one of the Plus Beaux Villages of France. Even out of season they seldom disappoint. Flavigny-sur-Ozerain in Burgundy is famous for its anise candies made at the local monastery and is a Plus Beau Village.
We wandered throughout the charming and very quaint village before succumbing to the candy tasting. I'm not fond of anise flavor, but the candies come in all sorts of flavors and you are sure to find one you like.
We recently stayed in Cenac-et-St. Julien on the Dordogne River. This is the area known as the Perigord Noir and heart of the caves with prehistoric paintings. There are troglodyte homes and storage caves everywhere here in the hills.
Domme is on a hill above the Dordogne and you can see for miles in every direction. The village itself is stunning but the views are beyond belief. You can see a castle on every hill from here. This little tower is by a garden with views up the river to La Roque Gageac. We absolutely fell in love with the area and are planning to return next year with our daughter.
. . . and we just returned from our second trip to Le Perigord Noir. Loved it.
We were working on using up our Cathar Passes when we discovered Ceret deep in the Pyrenees. We stopped for the art museum where my daughter and I were horrified to have to leave our cameras and purses at the desk as we viewed the collection. My husband was allowed to keep his wallet as that didn't seem to be a threat to them. The collection was not worth the worry although everything was returned when we left.
The town, on the other hand, was delightful. There was a little stream running down the hill and several large gates with quaint scenes behind them. I spotted these folks watching the activity in the square and decided they were worth a painting. I moved the street light that was hanging directly over the archway and partly obscured. The square the people were watching was colorful and bustling with cafes and stores and people going about their lives. Lovely town . . .
Top Travel Pages
Explore the World
Share your travels with the world!Join Now!
Badges & Stats
- 691 Reviews
- 3,244 Photos
- 13 Countries
- 184 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (146)
- Posted in Travel Amiens Forum "Re: restaurants"
- Commented on norvegiasara's profile page
- updated a Giverny Travel Page "Giverny is more than Monet's Garden"
- Wrote a Review Walk downtown for dinner! in Killarney Hotels
- Uploaded a Photo to "Walk downtown for dinner!"
- Beausoleil and divecat1978 are now friends.
- Uploaded a Video to Damme
- Commented on the Paris travel guide
updated their Profile Page "France - In and Out of Paris (see Paris page too)"
VideosSee All Videos (4)
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 100 reviews, 327 photos, 2 travelogues
- France Intro, 31 reviews, 152 photos, 2 travelogues
- Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur Intro, 14 reviews, 63 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Beaune Intro, 18 reviews, 56 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Caen Intro, 11 reviews, 40 photos
- Amboise Intro, 5 reviews, 45 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Obernai Intro, 5 reviews, 40 photos, 3 travelogues
- Strasbourg Intro, 9 reviews, 35 photos
- Pays de la Loire Intro, 6 reviews, 37 photos, 2 travelogues
- Carcassonne Intro, 6 reviews, 33 photos, 1 travelogue
- Paris Hotels
- 22459 Reviews - 54962 Photos
- Dubai Hotels
- 2701 Reviews - 7925 Photos
- London Hotels
- 23315 Reviews - 48908 Photos
- Philadelphia Hotels
- 2093 Reviews - 4054 Photos
- New York City Hotels
- 15643 Reviews - 31276 Photos
- Manila Hotels
- 2025 Reviews - 4971 Photos
- Orlando Hotels
- 3092 Reviews - 5855 Photos
- Cancún Hotels
- 1933 Reviews - 3724 Photos
- Punta Cana Hotels
- 422 Reviews - 1020 Photos
- Baguio Hotels
- 328 Reviews - 894 Photos
- Playa del Carmen Hotels
- 780 Reviews - 1749 Photos
- Rome Hotels
- 12023 Reviews - 26760 Photos
- Goa Hotels
- 2058 Reviews - 3874 Photos
- Istanbul Hotels
- 7828 Reviews - 20233 Photos
- Bangkok Hotels
- 10315 Reviews - 22905 Photos