"LBJ NHP Extra Pics IV" Stonewall Travelogue by msbrandysue
Stonewall Travel Guide: 12 reviews and 87 photos
The National Park Service is opening up one or two rooms a year in the White House. So far only LBJ's office is open. It's very small but the Park Ranger points out some interesting parts.
This saddle was actually a present to the whole United States. It was from the President of Mexico. I, for one, was very offended that part of this gift was for me and I couldn't even sit on the darn thing due to the encasing. Why give gifts like these??
When you walk in you walk to the right and this is the view of that. The portraits on the wall are of LBJ's dogs Him and Her. He loved these beagles very much. You can find more information at http://www.lbjlib.utexas.edu/johnson/archives.hom/FAQs/dog/doghouse.asp
The pillow on the cow-hide chair reads "This is my ranch and I do as I damn please!" Love it!
To the right was his desk. To the left was the chimney.
*Note...the Ranger gave us more more information from the origin of the chairs to the telephones. However, the lighting is very poor so its hard to get a picture.
This is a view of the back of the house. As you can tell many of the fun things...signature walk-way, pool, poolhouse, etc where in the front yard which faced the river.
This was the building of the Secret Service just behind the house. They had the place completely wired. Soon after Lady Bird's death they packed up. But the house is completely off-limits. However, it's set to open in a year or two after they get all their secret stuff outta there.... You just want to take a peak inside. Even the Ranger admitted that ;)
This is what the secret service houses looked like walking up to them. This is also where the high ranking generals would meet and get information when they were strategizing during Vietnam while at LBJ's residence.
msbrandysue's Related Pages
Stonewall Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Stonewall
- Restaurants in Stonewall
- Warnings and Dangers in Stonewall
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Stonewall
- 9 Reviews
- 82 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (16)
Have you been to Stonewall?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Stonewall
Photos in StonewallSee All Photos (82)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Houston Intro, 54 reviews, 209 photos, 7 travelogues
- San Antonio Intro, 37 reviews, 192 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galveston Intro, 46 reviews, 168 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fredericksburg Intro, 23 reviews, 162 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dallas Intro, 42 reviews, 135 photos, 2 travelogues
- Alexandria Intro, 22 reviews, 148 photos, 10 travelogues
- Las Vegas Intro, 40 reviews, 128 photos, 5 travelogues
- Austin Intro, 31 reviews, 121 photos, 5 travelogues
- Spring Intro, 33 reviews, 100 photos
- Jacksonville Intro, 15 reviews, 117 photos, 8 travelogues