"Planxty's London" Personal Page by planxty
This album is just a random selection of some of the literally thousands of photos I have of London.
There is no theme, they are just shots that I like. Please feel free to contact me if you like, or dislike, these shots.
The first one I like because it is an interesting mix of modern and not so modern.
I am currently a tip group editor in VT for London (bear with me, it is a long job and I'll get it done!) and I have looked at literally hundreds of pictures of the Gherkin as it is known. I believe it os properly called the Re Swiss building and certainly the address is 42 St. Mary Axe. I just liked this view of it.
I do not like Covent Garden, I think it is a complete tourist trap now it is no longer a functioning market. It is the haunt of pickpockets, beggars and so on, but I quite like this photo, which shows how busy it can get.
This is a detail from a wall mural near where I live. It features on my off the beaten path page for London. It is close to where I live. The mural represents (as you can see on the police officers collar) an event which happened in 1936 when Oswald Moseley's blackshirts (effectively English Fascists) decided to have a march in the East End of London. The area od Cable Street was then, as indeed now, predominantly an immigrant area, with many Jews. Basically what happened was that the local Jewry, the local (non-Jewish) populace and a few outsiders took to the street to stop the Blackshirts marching.
I do rather like the mural.
This shot shows a gasometer on the Regent's Canal near my home in the East End. I have always had a liking for industrial history and, whilst not conventionally aesthetically pleasing, I find a distinct beauty in structures like this.
This shot was taken on a walk along the Regent's Canal one day. Unusually for London, there was a bit of sun, and I took this shot of the shadow of a man making a mobile 'phone call.
Just another one of my "arty" type photos. This is the absolutely amazing roof of the new St. Pancras Station, where many visitors will arrive in the UK, via the Eurostar train. The station took a long time to refurbish, and a great deal of money. Actually, I think it is a pretty good result.
London? London City? Actually, it is. It is amazing how much greenery there is in the city if you look for it. I read a statistic (lies, damn lies and statistics again) that London has more green space than any other comparable major city in the world. Frankly, whilst I am sceptical about stats, I can believe this one.
Top Travel Pages
Explore the World
Share your travels with the world!Join Now!
Badges & Stats
- 1,609 Reviews
- 4,980 Photos
- 30 Countries
- 175 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (66)
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Word Association Game."
- Commented on angiebabe's profile page
- Wrote a Review I didn't see the show. in Valletta Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "I didn't see the show."
- updated a Valletta Travelogue "National War Museum, Part Two."
- planxty and seeker5 are now friends.
updated their Personal Page "UNESCO World Heritage Sites I have visited."
- Commented on the Syria travel guide
PhotosSee All Photos (4980)
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 220 reviews, 562 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dumaguete City Intro, 29 reviews, 104 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Broadstairs Intro, 38 reviews, 89 photos, 2 travelogues
- Philippines Intro, 11 reviews, 115 photos, 11 travelogues
- Valletta Intro, 21 reviews, 101 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rangoon Intro, 33 reviews, 78 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Belfast Intro, 22 reviews, 87 photos, 4 travelogues
- Armagh Intro, 20 reviews, 83 photos, 3 travelogues
- Manila Intro, 21 reviews, 80 photos, 1 travelogue
- Brno Intro, 20 reviews, 76 photos, 2 travelogues
- Paris Hotels
- 22172 Reviews - 53908 Photos
- Orlando Hotels
- 3079 Reviews - 5774 Photos
- New York City Hotels
- 15524 Reviews - 30894 Photos
- London Hotels
- 23065 Reviews - 47272 Photos
- Rome Hotels
- 11941 Reviews - 26475 Photos
- Cancún Hotels
- 1928 Reviews - 3713 Photos
- Myrtle Beach Hotels
- 319 Reviews - 425 Photos
- Las Vegas Hotels
- 8349 Reviews - 17018 Photos
- Manila Hotels
- 1909 Reviews - 4475 Photos
- Baguio Hotels
- 325 Reviews - 885 Photos
- Toronto Hotels
- 4278 Reviews - 8803 Photos
- Melbourne Hotels
- 3341 Reviews - 7500 Photos
- Goa Hotels
- 2036 Reviews - 3787 Photos
- Istanbul Hotels
- 7646 Reviews - 19527 Photos
- Panama City Beach Hotels
- 193 Reviews - 288 Photos