"Planxty's London" Personal Page by planxty
This album is just a random selection of some of the literally thousands of photos I have of London.
There is no theme, they are just shots that I like. Please feel free to contact me if you like, or dislike, these shots.
The first one I like because it is an interesting mix of modern and not so modern.
I am currently a tip group editor in VT for London (bear with me, it is a long job and I'll get it done!) and I have looked at literally hundreds of pictures of the Gherkin as it is known. I believe it os properly called the Re Swiss building and certainly the address is 42 St. Mary Axe. I just liked this view of it.
I do not like Covent Garden, I think it is a complete tourist trap now it is no longer a functioning market. It is the haunt of pickpockets, beggars and so on, but I quite like this photo, which shows how busy it can get.
This is a detail from a wall mural near where I live. It features on my off the beaten path page for London. It is close to where I live. The mural represents (as you can see on the police officers collar) an event which happened in 1936 when Oswald Moseley's blackshirts (effectively English Fascists) decided to have a march in the East End of London. The area od Cable Street was then, as indeed now, predominantly an immigrant area, with many Jews. Basically what happened was that the local Jewry, the local (non-Jewish) populace and a few outsiders took to the street to stop the Blackshirts marching.
I do rather like the mural.
This shot shows a gasometer on the Regent's Canal near my home in the East End. I have always had a liking for industrial history and, whilst not conventionally aesthetically pleasing, I find a distinct beauty in structures like this.
This shot was taken on a walk along the Regent's Canal one day. Unusually for London, there was a bit of sun, and I took this shot of the shadow of a man making a mobile 'phone call.
Just another one of my "arty" type photos. This is the absolutely amazing roof of the new St. Pancras Station, where many visitors will arrive in the UK, via the Eurostar train. The station took a long time to refurbish, and a great deal of money. Actually, I think it is a pretty good result.
London? London City? Actually, it is. It is amazing how much greenery there is in the city if you look for it. I read a statistic (lies, damn lies and statistics again) that London has more green space than any other comparable major city in the world. Frankly, whilst I am sceptical about stats, I can believe this one.
Top Travel Pages
Explore the World
- Russian Gulch State Park Hotels
- Papua New Guinea
- Johor Bahru
- Bar Harbor
- Ciudad del Carmen
- Calbayog City
- Los Cristianos
- Keansburg Hotels
- San Pedro
- Province of Isabela
- Ngapali Hotels
- Yellowstone National Park
- Greenore Hotels
- Roquetas de Mar
- Ouray Hotels
- Camp Squanto Hotels
- Palmerston North
Share your travels with the world!Join Now!
Badges & Stats
- 1,738 Reviews
- 5,891 Photos
- 31 Countries
- 191 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (85)
- Commented on one of planxty's Bethnal Green travelogues
- Posted in Travel London Forum "Re: Tipping at The Savoy"
- updated a Bethnal Green Travelogue "Memories are made of this."
- Wrote a Review A very fine monument (bring a long lens). about Puerta de Alcala in Madrid Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "A very fine monument (bring a long lens)."
- planxty and JulieJueletha are now friends.
updated their Profile Page "My idea of VT."
- Uploaded a Video to Madrid
- Commented on the London travel guide
PhotosSee All Photos (5891)
VideosSee All Videos (13)
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 225 reviews, 725 photos, 31 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Broadstairs Intro, 45 reviews, 125 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lundy Island Intro, 15 reviews, 147 photos, 12 travelogues
- Valletta Intro, 25 reviews, 133 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dumaguete City Intro, 29 reviews, 104 photos
- Philippines Intro, 11 reviews, 115 photos, 11 travelogues
- Durham Intro, 21 reviews, 102 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rangoon Intro, 33 reviews, 79 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Belfast Intro, 22 reviews, 87 photos, 4 travelogues
- Madrid Intro, 21 reviews, 85 photos
- Paris Hotels
- 22500 Reviews - 55076 Photos
- Fort Lauderdale Hotels
- 659 Reviews - 1389 Photos
- Dubai Hotels
- 2702 Reviews - 7927 Photos
- London Hotels
- 23331 Reviews - 48936 Photos
- Manila Hotels
- 2029 Reviews - 4971 Photos
- New York City Hotels
- 15645 Reviews - 31276 Photos
- Baguio Hotels
- 328 Reviews - 894 Photos
- Cancún Hotels
- 1933 Reviews - 3724 Photos
- Orlando Hotels
- 3100 Reviews - 5884 Photos
- Punta Cana Hotels
- 422 Reviews - 1020 Photos
- Playa del Carmen Hotels
- 781 Reviews - 1749 Photos
- Goa Hotels
- 2059 Reviews - 3877 Photos
- Bangkok Hotels
- 10316 Reviews - 22906 Photos
- Rome Hotels
- 12024 Reviews - 26769 Photos
- Istanbul Hotels
- 7829 Reviews - 20234 Photos