"Qingdao Guest House - Part 1" Qingdao Travelogue by Willettsworld
Qingdao Travel Guide: 201 reviews and 801 photos
This building is probably the most famous in Qingdao. It was originally built in a Bavarian style in 1903 and covers an area of 4,083 square metres. It was built as the residence of the German Governor-General during the period when Qingdao was occupied by the Germans but later became known by its present name, in 1934, after the Germans left. The building is now a museum with all the old fixtures and fittings in place.
Perhaps the most famous person to have stayed here was Mao Zedong along with his wife and kids in 1957. His bedroom on the ground floor has been preserved. Along with him, other leaders such as Ho-Chi-Minh of Vietnam, Prince Sihanouk of Cambodia and Mao's foreign minister, Zhou Enlai and two general secretaries of the Albanian Communist Party have stayed here along with Michael Palin during his Full Circle series in the mid-90s.
Willettsworld's Related Pages
Qingdao Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The former german crowncolony of Tsingdao"
- "Qingdao - Old German Colony in China"
- "Qingdao - seaside colonial town"
- "Beautiful seaside city"
- "Qingdao (aka Tsingtao)"
- "Finally getting some sunshine"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Qingdao
- Hotels in Qingdao
- Transportation in Qingdao
- Nightlife in Qingdao
- Restaurants in Qingdao
- Shopping in Qingdao
- Warnings and Dangers in Qingdao
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Qingdao
- 31 Reviews
- 209 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (69)
Have you been to Qingdao?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Qingdao
Photos in QingdaoSee All Photos (209)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Beijing Intro, 163 reviews, 623 photos, 10 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 136 reviews, 545 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Slovenia Intro, 99 reviews, 416 photos, 3 travelogues
- Delhi Intro, 108 reviews, 371 photos, 7 travelogues
- Singapore Intro, 100 reviews, 376 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination P'yongyang Intro, 89 reviews, 373 photos, 7 travelogues
- Shanghai Intro, 81 reviews, 373 photos, 10 travelogues
- Lisbon Intro, 87 reviews, 359 photos, 10 travelogues
- Udaipur Intro, 97 reviews, 335 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rio de Janeiro Intro, 103 reviews, 327 photos, 5 travelogues