"Georgia Aquarium - 2009" Atlanta Travelogue by grayfo
Atlanta Travel Guide: 1,511 reviews and 2,710 photos
The whale shark is the largest of the sharks and the biggest fish, and can grow up to 14 metres (46 ft), weighing up to 15 tons. The average size being 7.6 metres (25 ft) long. It has been estimated that whale sharks may live up to 100 - 150 years.
The whale shark has light-yellow markings (random stripes and dots) on very thick dark grey skin. Its skin is up to 10 cm (4 inches) thick. The whale shark has tiny teeth and feeds on plankton and small fishes.
The whale shark is found in all tropical and subtropical oceans, along coastal regions, and enters lagoons on tropical islands. It generally swims near the surface allowing divers and snorkelers to swim with it.
Named after its distinctive mouth, the Bowmouth Guitarfish is also known as Sharkfin Guitarfish, Shark Ray or Mud Skate and is found across the Indo-west Pacific. A bottom-dwelling species the Bowmouth Guitarfish lives in shallow coastal areas and inshore coral reefs, at a depth range between 3 and 90 metres.
The Giant Grouper is found in the Indian and Pacific Oceans and normally live in shallow waters preferring coral reef. Giant Groupers can grow as large as 2.7 metres (9 ft) long, weighing up to 600 kg (1320 lb) and feed on a variety of marine life, including small sharks and juvenile sea turtles.
The white beluga whale is normally found in the arctic and sub-arctic regions of the world. Seeing these animals with their flexible necks and the ability to swim upside down was for me like watching an undersea ballet.
There are 20 different species of the piranha in the Amazon and nearly all of them. However, the only species of piranha that can strip flesh of an animal in double quick time are the red-bellied piranha. The red-bellied piranha has the reputation for being one of the most ferocious freshwater fish in the world. They have a set of razor sharp teeth which are capable of stripping flesh from prey and dead animals.
grayfo's Related Pages
Atlanta Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Monuments"
- "Big city livin in the South"
- "Atlanta & Coca Cola"
- "atlanta georgia"
- "Atlanta - full of surprises"
- "Capital of the South"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Atlanta
- Hotels in Atlanta
- Transportation in Atlanta
- Nightlife in Atlanta
- Restaurants in Atlanta
- Shopping in Atlanta
- Warnings and Dangers in Atlanta
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Atlanta
- 7 Reviews
- 20 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (57)
Have you been to Atlanta?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Atlanta
Top 10 Pages
- Barcelona Intro, 38 reviews, 67 photos, 2 travelogues
- Chicago Intro, 23 reviews, 63 photos, 6 travelogues
- Brugge Intro, 37 reviews, 49 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Royal Leamington Spa Intro, 35 reviews, 50 photos, 2 travelogues
- Budapest Intro, 30 reviews, 51 photos, 4 travelogues
- Cardiff Intro, 32 reviews, 43 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wichita Intro, 24 reviews, 50 photos, 3 travelogues
- Kos Intro, 16 reviews, 46 photos, 5 travelogues
- Marostica Intro, 22 reviews, 35 photos, 2 travelogues
- Stratford-upon-Avon Intro, 21 reviews, 33 photos, 3 travelogues