"Shenzhen, China" China Travelogue by BorderHopper

China Travel Guide: 30,107 reviews and 85,875 photos

We crossed the border ifrom Hong Kong into China March 9th, Friday evening. It was a real mad house trying to work our way through the border control points. I felt as if we were surfing a huge human wave all the way into China.
This is a photo of Jason and I moments after we crossed over to the China side.

I was going for the doozey......but still haven't had a change in my usual luck!

Missing the local mountains in my hometown of Southern California I decided for a day of skiing..Chinese style!

That's right...SKIING!! You won't find snow here, but you'll find a few grassy hills that someone decided to turn into a ski slope. I decided to try my luck and had a go at it. It was great, and it was a matter of time before I was tucked in an almost perfect, aerodynamic, downhill crouch. I avoided the dive-bombing black bats flying around, loose divets, mole hills, and even negotiated several mogul like bumps in the middle of the hill..........

......but just as soon as I got to the bottom I realized that stopping on grass isn't quite like stopping on the snow. Instinctively, I applied pressure to one side and tried to slice but that did nothing but throw me on my ass...and HARD! All and all it was great fun!

Many a night (at least the last 3 nights) we vegitated in front of the TV and VCD player. Not much entertainment going on so we stayed home most every night.

Jason and I will soon head out to Guilin. We've got a few more days here so I'm sure we'll have more fun times to relay to you all. Bye from Shenzhen!

Our fist meal was at a Chinese cafeteria in Shenzhen. We fisrt had to buy a meal ticket and then choose items that have already been cooked to serve. I had a heaping bowl of rice noodles in a beef based broth. You eat at communal tables and you just have to get used to all of the curious stares. It seemed that everyone was interested in how two "Guilow" use their chopsticks!

There really isn't much going on in Shenzhen but it is a beautiful city. Right across from the apartments that Heidi (aka jjasmine) arranged for us is Splendid China. It is an amusement park which has beautifully ornate replicas of some of China's fascinating sites. You can see the great wall of China or the great mosques of Kashgar all in one place. As beautiful as the park was it in no ways compares to the beauty of the original sites but it does make for a great day trip while in Shenzhen.

This is another famous site in China but in all honesty I couldn't tell you what or where it is....

Shenzhen is a bustling border city and is very modern. I wasn't expecting such a modern clean city as my first introduction to mainland China. When we arrived the first night we took a bust to the apartments down one of the main roads and I was amazed at all of the colorful liggts that lined the roadside. It was like being in Las Vegas. Even the lawns and landscaping was perfectly manicured!

Jason thinks he's a terracotta soldier...but just like this replica he ain't close to the real thing..ha ha!

This large bronze bell helped us determine our fortune. Depending on the amount of gong's heard after you drop the hammer that will detrmine your fortune. Jason's read: BETTER LUCK NEXT TIME! ;)

• Page Updated Dec 8, 2002

Comments

BorderHopper

“"travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness.”

Badges & Stats in China